Question What is my PC worth for Resale?

tonyclark29

Commendable
Mar 28, 2017
I built this computer about a year ago and am wanting to know how much it would be worth at a good price.

Components:
  1. MSI GTX 1080 TI Duke OC 11gb
  2. EVGA 850W gold PSU
  3. Corsair 16gb 3200mhz ram
  4. Intel i7-9700k @ 3.6mhz (just put in a month ago)
  5. MSI z390 Gaming plus motherboard
  6. 500gb samsung SSD
  7. 1tb WD 7200rpm hdd
  8. Phanteks p400 case
I'm interested in selling it but don't know what resale would be worth on it.

The computer as a unit loses about 40 percent of its value every year. So a $2000 dollar build from a year ago would be worth a bout $1200. Technology moves so fast these days that equipment becomes "outdated" quickly. So you may be better off cannibalizing it and selling piece by piece.

tsdobbi

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
The computer as a unit loses about 40 percent of its value every year. So a $2000 dollar build from a year ago would be worth a bout $1200. Technology moves so fast these days that equipment becomes "outdated" quickly. So you may be better off cannibalizing it and selling piece by piece.

I don't think its "that" simple. I think it more depends on who is buying it. If someone that knows hardware, wants to buy a used PC. (Me being one of them currently for my wife) I parted out generally what I was looking for in the used/refurbished market and have been looking for an old rig someone is selling with similar parts, in that price range.

It really depends on who the buyer is. Someone looking to buy systems to part out and turn a profit, isn't going to pay you what it's worth in individual parts. Someone like me just looking to save myself building a PC would absolutely pay the used market value in individual parts.

Then there is the oblivious buyer who wants a gaming computer but knows nothing about what is in them or their value. Maybe someone just looking to get into PC gaming or a parent buying a gaming PC for their kid.

In my own search looking at the PC resale market, Im convinced most sellers are looking for the last buyer. They way over price their rigs. It irritated me so much I even messaged a couple of the worst offenders about this and of course got no response back. Im still looking, but I've basically convinced myself im just going to buy the individual parts used/refurbished and build the damn thing.

tonyclark29

My advice to you is to look at the lowest price you can find for each part in your PC used individually to come up with a price, if it doesn't sell, you can always lower the price. I think thats fair. You may chase off the buyers looking to buy and turn a profit off the parts, but people that just don't want to build their own PC, but know the value of the parts, will recognize the fair price.

Last edited: