Question What is "Target Temperature"?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I'm working in a legacy BIOS from the good ol' days with "smart fan" enabled. When asking to pick a target temp for the CPU fan, what are they asking me to pick? The CPU temp I at which I want the fan to start speeding up? Go to max speed? Same question pertaining to the Sys fans /Cha fans.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Some older systems used a different way to let you specify the "fan curve". But I've never seen one that asks for only ONE temperature. What you MAY see is a request for a Target Temperature that is the middle of the range, and then Minimum and Maximum temps for which it will apply min and max fan speeds.

Reactions: 1405

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Some older systems used a different way to let you specify the "fan curve". But I've never seen one that asks for only ONE temperature. What you MAY see is a request for a Target Temperature that is the middle of the range, and then Minimum and Maximum temps for which it will apply min and max fan speeds.
Thank you. I probably should have added a little more information to my question. Below are screenshots as an example.
CPU Smart Fan Target
CPU Min.Fan Speed (%)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, so that system is even simpler. You specify a "Target" temp of the CPU and it will always attempt to get close to that by adjusting fan speed. It will NOT stick to that temp exactly, but will try to stay close. Then you specify a Min fan speed. Every fan will stall if the voltage sent to it is low enough, and then there's an issue of detecting this and re-starting, etc. You do not want that to happen. So YOU can set the minimum Voltage (by setting a min % of full power) it will send out no matter how cool your CPU is. IF you set it too low the fan WILL stall when the system is very cool (especially from a cold start), and then you know to go back in and raise the min.