Question What is the automated way to stop multiple chrome processes from restarting when you restart chrome?

David_652

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2017
I get Windows Explorer crashes and freezes affecting the taskbar, which produces the hour glass when I hover over the taskbar. I know chrome is part of it if not all of it. When I delete browsing data and include cookies etc., it subsides and I have only one or two chrome instances, processes, running. The crashes affect all open apps as I can't get to Word from Chrome, Outlook from Word, and so on.

Is there a single step or two other than the tedious delete browsing data with cookies? That method means I have to login to all my sites again when I visit and go through the OTP process and what not. Again, closing chrome and ending task on all chrome processes doesn't do it. I reopen chrome and there's 16 or more chrome processes. I have
Device name HPEnvy1
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 128 GB (128 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
And 2TB and 20TB disks with hardly any data by comparison.

I don't get above 15GB or RAM use when I see this chrome issue. CPU, HDD, etc are hardly touched either. Getting chrome finally down to 1 or 2 processes works. But it should not be an issue with the kinds of resources I have here. Is there a tool, method, app, setting, anything to easily keep 16+ processes from all reopening when I open chrome again? Is there something else I should do or look for? I've researched using Google and other tools with no viable solution. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.