[SOLVED] What is the average internet connection speed purchased around the world in 2022?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You guessed it, I think I'm lagging behind big time with what I currently have.

Just like to know what is currently being purchased by most so that I can set my aim.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
If it is needed, they will tell you.
Even it it is unbelievable, but regardless if it is, or isn't, this is the only way I'm going to be upgraded when the time comes, at least according to support staff once newer equipment has been acquired any package and foreseeable speed is compatible.

Same monthly payment plus new equipment rental begets higher speed packages.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
That is what I did previously, I purchased the antenna (outdoor router) and now they claim it's incompatible.

So by my calculation it would be better to start renting, so they cant pull the same trick on me again in the future.

What could possibly go wrong with renting equipment that the ISP is responsible for maintaining and replacing if required without any cost to me ( of witch I'm still unclear if so or not)

Don't rent.
Buy the same one. I did.

This thing, this outdoor router comes at a whopping purchase price, nearly made me broke last time around. ( what do I do with the current one? is it useless now?)

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
For me, a rental at $10/month was overcome in 10 months after purchase.

YMMV with whatever 'outdoor router' you have.

Yes, indeed, just trying to avoid a repeat of what happened with previous outdoor equipment becoming irrelevant.( however it has been 8 years running same outdoor equipment without need for repair nor upgrade up n' till now)

The cost of this equipment would not easily be overcome if it was bought, more like years than months.

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
If you live in an affluent neighborhood, chances are you can get up to 2GB/second connection. Otherwise, you are stuck with the telephone line DSL of up to 60 mps but marketed as up to 140 mps. Strangely, the cost between the two speeds not that much more. It just how things are.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Go find a better ISP.

I live on a farm in the mountains, an outdoor router connected to a point to point tower is the only way to get connected, my ISP covering this area, they are the best and the only carrier here, cant get fiber, cant get air fiber either and DSL phonelines have been left to rot, besides the prices and data caps from the phone company or satellite providers with worst contention ratio and latency is not nearly as comparable to current ISP's uncapped wifi, the only thing with them being that you need to purchase or rent the equipment to utilize modern speeds.

If you live in an affluent neighborhood, chances are you can get up to 2GB/second connection. Otherwise, you are stuck with the telephone line DSL of up to 60 mps but marketed as up to 140 mps. Strangely, the cost between the two speeds not that much more. It just how things are.

This is an Affluent farming area, and speeds are up to 1Gbps with the neighboring town being fibered to the rest of the area and surrounding cities.

Last edited:

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
Thanks much appreciated.

Was also wondering if forums members can share what they pay and for how much they get: explained speed and data received and transmitted per month.

I for instance have a 4Mbps\1Mbps connection at the moment and I pay $25.00 per month and use about 500+Gb received and transmitted, it's an uncapped package, but it gets throttled every day when 6.6gb has been reached.
That is an outrageous price! I live an a city in my country and I only have to pay 12$ Per month for a fiber 500Mbps\500Mbps plan. I suppose living in the mountains isn’t very good if you want the best internet speeds

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
That is an outrageous price! I live an a city in my country and I only have to pay 12$ Per month for a fiber 500Mbps\500Mbps plan. I suppose living in the mountains isn’t very good if you want the best internet speeds

Alright, thanks for telling me what you pay and what you get for it, helps with my calculation toward a future upgrade, my ISP is working tirelessly to gather more clients to make faster speeds available, and someday I should be able to get world standard service here, things have come along nicely so far.

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
Alright, thanks for telling me what you pay and what you get for it, helps with my calculation toward a future upgrade, my ISP is working tirelessly to gather more clients to make faster speeds available, and someday I should be able to get world standard service here, things have come along nicely so far.
I also have to mention that my isp is the best isp in my country with the highest ookla cellular speeds. There are only 3 or 4 isps in my country but there should be enough for isps to compete against each other for the fastest and cheapest price. In your case, there might not be enough competition for your isp to try to keep up to.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I also have to mention that my isp is the best isp in my country with the highest ookla cellular speeds. There are only 3 or 4 isps in my country but there should be enough for isps to compete against each other for the fastest and cheapest price. In your case, there might not be enough competition for your isp to try to keep up to.

Yes that's quite right as you put it "competition" between ISP's and my current ISP has sole coverage in this area, but they also have the largest reach in my state or province, no other ISP can come close to their service quality but a connection with them does come at a premium price, but still incomparable to the rest of the world, but they are working on it, it's just slow progress or change over years for an unknown reason, and they are the pioneers in this field of internet connection tech, here in my country.

Last edited:
I pay $70 month for 50down/2 upload on a 2 pair bonded modem DSL. Real world is 35-40 down and 1.5 up.
Been paying this price for about 20 years since DSL became available to us.. Originally we had 1mbps down/ .256upload.
Over the years as speeds increased we got automatically upgraded.
We do not have any choice in providers.
It is Windstream or nothing.
Satellite is also not an option. I refuse to cut 2-300 year old trees for satellite service.
The joys of rural living.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I pay $70 month for 50down/2 upload on a 2 pair bonded modem DSL. Real world is 35-40 down and 1.5 up.
Been paying this price for about 20 years since DSL became available to us.. Originally we had 1mbps down/ .256upload.
Over the years as speeds increased we got automatically upgraded.
We do not have any choice in providers.
It is Windstream or nothing.
Satellite is also not an option. I refuse to cut 2-300 year old trees for satellite service.
The joys of rural living.

Great info, thanks.