Question What is the best distro i can use in a Atom netbook?

Well the x86 is kind of an issue, but shouldn't stop you from installing Linux on it.

Based on my own experiences on re-using very old x86 computers I'd recommend the following distros - that still also have decent x86 based versions of their distros:
There is also openSUSE Tumbleweed and Haiku. The latter is not a Linux distro but an independent open source OS. In my experience, the Debian based Linux distros are more likely to work on an old computer.

Also be aware the different Debian based distros may not all work on old hardware, so if one of those distros won't work, then another may work. That is my experience after testing on computers that was new in 2001-2004.

Reactions: grince
Jul 23, 2022
Um, I just found that FreeBSD also exist as i386 image. Since I have some old 32 bit hardware laying around, I should test that out. Any things I should know before I put it to the test?
As you have noticed, it is one of the few systems that still supports 32 bit. After you have installed the system you will have to configure a few things. Eg the X server and a windows manager or desktop environment, the graphics drivers, maybe a few other things. This may be a little more difficult than with other systems.

But you also have to realize, after you have installed and configured it, it is one of the most maintenance-friendly systems. So it's just the initial setup that can probably take you two or three hours if you're not used to working with Linux or command line.

One last point to note, you are using an Atom CPU. They were already extremely weak when they came out. So I wouldn't install a desktop environment like KDE/Gnome/XFCE. The maximum that will be productive is LXDE/LXQt. If you have the skills I would even recommend using something like PeKWM, Openbox, i3, Xmonad, AwesomeWM, herbstluftwm, dwm,
spectrwm, .. Openbox and PeKWM are easy to configure and all the latter window managers are even more lightweight than eg an LXDE or LXQt. So you're going to notice that on an Atom CPU.

Reactions: Grobe