Question What is the best for listening to music on the computer: 2.0, 2.1 or 5.1?

DVS75

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
I mostly listen to music (in lossless formats) on my computer, while working. It is very rare that I watch movies (except for the documentary ones) or play games.

Most music is recorded in simple stereo, so I wander if rear speakers on a 5.1 setup will be utilized (what if I simply turn them off for most of the time?)

Please let me know if I should buy a set of good 2.0 speakers, or choose 2.1 or even 5.1 format?

Clarity of the sound is important.

Thank you!

Personally, I prefer 2.0 for music. However, I use a stereo receiver with floorstanding tower speakers. If it's bookshelf or mini speakers. I would opt for 2.1. You want a decent sized woofer for bass. I'd say 8 inch minimum. Which mine have four of.

You wouldn't want 5.1 for music. That's only really for surround sound to make video more immersive. The effect doesn't work well for music. Especially if it's trying to emulate surround sound from two channel audio. There are some surround sound music recordings. Still the effect isn't great with music as it never seems to fill a room with sound as well as two channel.

I don't even care for 5.1 for video. I use 2.0 for everything. I had 5.1 for a while in the living room. But I switched that out for an Amp, Preamp and a giant pair of tower speakers with 15 inch woofers. Which blows the 5.1 system out of the water.

Reactions: DVS75
I mostly listen to music (in lossless formats) on my computer, while working. It is very rare that I watch movies (except for the documentary ones) or play games.

Most music is recorded in simple stereo, so I wander if rear speakers on a 5.1 setup will be utilized (what if I simply turn them off for most of the time?)

Please let me know if I should buy a set of good 2.0 speakers, or choose 2.1 or even 5.1 format?

Clarity of the sound is important.

Thank you!
The best format for listening to anything is the format which most closely matches the source material. So FLAC or WAV stereo music would be best played on a set of stereo speakers. I use the KEF Q350 powered by an old yamaha receiver. The receiver is connected to the computer using an optical toslink cable so there's no metal to metal contact and the cable does not pick up any interference. The receiver performs the digital to analog conversion in the best way possible. (Since my receiver is old and outdated a newer receiver might be a Denon DRA-800H or you could just drive the speakers with an external amp like a Fosi Audio DA2120B).

For music especially, I use 2.1 as the subwoofer gives it depth and a good, but not overcooked amount og bass.
Plus, a 3-piece speaker system is as many as I want to have to deal with.

5.1/7.1 surround sound is not something I have ever wanted to get in to. Too many speakers and wires for my liking.

Reactions: Unolocogringo