What is the best silent cooler for i9-9900K if I keeping it running 24/7?

Solution
Keep the stock fan. If you need RAM compatibility then adding a second fan (on front) won't do any good because it will still be the same difference as using the NH-D15. You can move the fan up a bit to make room for RAM. But, it's easier to use low profile RAM. You could put a fan on the back though I don't think it does as good as on the front.

The stock fans are very good on the Noctuas.

Adding a fan to the NH-D15S will cost more and do the same as an NH-D15. And the only thing you would gain is GPU compatibility and that's only if the GPU goes in the first PCI-e slot and not the second; a lot of mobos use the second slot for the first full length PCIe slot.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

I know there are posts for cooling solution for this CPU but I guess those are for general use and not for 24/7.

In my case, I am looing for a silent cooler to cool it when the cpu is under load 24/7.

What kind of load? How silent?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

load: number crunching, simulations
how silent: so silent that I don't near the noise when it is on my desk or under my desk in a silent night. In the worse case, barely hearing it if I put my ear right next to thte case

I am still unsure if the CPU will be utilized 100% or 50% or 35%.. that really makes a difference. If it's 100% or anywhere near that then silent is not an option. What you are trying to do doesn't really make sense. You are trying to use the hottest CPU on the market under constant load with silent cooling? That's not going to happen.

You can still get try to get the quietest cooler you can, but it's not going to be anywhere near silent if the i9-9900K is under a significant load.

I'm going to agree with volkgren. If you're really using this CPU, it's going to make so much heat that pretty much any CPU cooler will ramp up at least a little.

The fact of the matter is that your CPU simply produces too much heat to keep it cool and silent. If you're going for full load, you're either going to get cool temperatures OR quiet operation.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Is the nh-d15s the best we can do? Is it better to add one more fan? I think it comes with only one fan. For liquid cooling, I am a bit concerned about leaking damaging expensive components. I recall reading that liquid cooling solution is not silent due to the pumps.

I would prefer an air cooler to stay safe under constant load, to prevent leaks and to ensure the pump doesn't fail and cause overheating.

The NH-D15 comes with 2 fans, the D15S comes with 1 fan. I would recommend either of those. The D15S has an offset radiator to allow more room for the first PCI-E slot on the motherboard. So keep that in mind. They are more silent at lower operation, but get pretty loud when they ramp up past a certain fan speed. But, the loudness of them is more of a deep hum rather than a high whine. They stay more silent than other coolers at the same fan speed/percentage in my experience (compared to Cryorig R1).

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. I considered to opt for the D15S for compatibility with RAM and GPU. Is it recommended to change the stock fan or add one more fan?

Keep the stock fan. If you need RAM compatibility then adding a second fan (on front) won't do any good because it will still be the same difference as using the NH-D15. You can move the fan up a bit to make room for RAM. But, it's easier to use low profile RAM. You could put a fan on the back though I don't think it does as good as on the front.

The stock fans are very good on the Noctuas.

Adding a fan to the NH-D15S will cost more and do the same as an NH-D15. And the only thing you would gain is GPU compatibility and that's only if the GPU goes in the first PCI-e slot and not the second; a lot of mobos use the second slot for the first full length PCIe slot.

Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

I use 4 modules of G.Skill TridentZ (non-RGB version) and the 1st PCI-e slot of a 3-slot wide EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra.