Question What is the best VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2019
I'm looking to get a VPN for when I travel overseas to access Netflix and some other US based sites. Is there a best VPN for this purpose or are they all about the same?

Reactions: sjsumaiya

mangaman

Honorable
As @R_1 stated, ExpressVPN is a pretty good VPN service. I haven't used it, but many have stated that it is very reliable and fast. It has a 30 day money back guarantee so if you don't like it, you can get a full refund.

I however would steer FAR AWAY from NordVPN. The fact that Nord's servers were hacked a few years ago, and the company never bothered to tell anyone until just recently is throwing up many red flags.

Reactions: Overclock 55

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
I however would steer FAR AWAY from NordVPN. The fact that Nord's servers were hacked a few years ago, and the company never bothered to tell anyone until just recently is throwing up many red flags.
And it seems that a bunch of their customers passwords and emails were stolen recently too. They did bother to warn anyone about that one either.

Personally I like Surfbouncer, they've been around for a long time and have a pretty good track record.

hanotaink

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
And it seems that a bunch of their customers passwords and emails were stolen recently too. They did bother to warn anyone about that one either.

Personally I like Surfbouncer, they've been around for a long time and have a pretty good track record.
The NordVPN accounts were stolen because of credential stuffing - it's really the responsibility of users themselves to not reuse the same login information everywhere.
And the "hack" wasn't really a hack - breach would be the correct term. And besides - the server provider left the vulnerability there and did not inform NordVPN about it so they couldn't have informed anyone because they simply didn't know at the time. Sure, they could have communicated better but it's not as bad as most clickbaity articles want you to believe. And if your only use case is Netflix then NordVPN is still a good choice, not every VPN is suited for this.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
TechCrunch blew this info on purpose, since they are owned by other VPN provider.
Well it's not just TechCrunch. Arstechnica, Android police, Cnet and at least a dozen other sites have similar articles. I might believe that it's just TechCrunch being owned by another VPN if it was just them saying it, but there's just too many people with the same story to ignore.

Hollow704

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
expressvpn, nordvpn, Private Internet Access. NordVPN seems to be the only one with a true no logs policy and also isnt based in a country under the 5/9/14 eyes jurisdictions. most of the other vpns are slow, and have no logs policies from what my research has shows. PureVPN is awful so avoid at all costs

Reactions: digitalgriffin
I'm looking to get a VPN for when I travel overseas to access Netflix and some other US based sites. Is there a best VPN for this purpose or are they all about the same?

You only care about one metric and that is speed. In that case PIA. However remoting into your own home network using OpenVPN orWiregaurd will achieve what you ask and is relatively easy to set up for free. My only concern about PIA is there were recently bought up by a company who made money off of selling user data in the past. They claimed they have reformed. But I'm sure with enough gov't money thrown at them, they might change their mind. (ATT and Verizon make significant money to track specific customers from gov't warrants. This seems like a conflict of interest to me like red light cameras.)

If you care about being hidden from illegal activities, NONE of them. There's enough hacks out there, that if you hit a gov't or hacker honeypot, your VPN will not protect your identity. If they want you bad enough they will get ya. Unless you can control the data and source code on both ends, you are subject to backdoors and hack attacks.

For example, b rowsers are subject to something called digital finger printing Even if you are in private mode, the characteristics of javascript calls do not change. If you run a browser on a VPN, you get a finger print. You then run the same browser off the VPN, you still have the same finger print. This can be analyzed through traffic. And once the fingerprint matches, your non protected IP will be revealed. And this isn't even a coding flaw. It's a perfectly valid use of functions used to help render pages correctly. There are other methods too which require zero hacks. There's a very popular browser that has a cookie flaw in private surfing mode that allows the website to determine you are in private mode, then create a cookie that persist after private browsing has ended. The list of flaws and hacks for various programs goes on and on and on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.