What is the deal with SLI and Crossfire technology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
If you didnt mean it sarcasticly then I stand corrected, but when most of the post has been a bash on SLI, you take it in context. This is why I like to be explicit in what I say. No offense meant, just dont like it when posts are so insultory with out explaining thier view point.

cleeve

Illustrious
No offense taken. I simply compared SLI/Crossfire to an e-penis.

I thought it was self explanitory, but to clarify I am using the metaphor of male genitalia (the size of which are often bragged about in male circles) to explain the significance of SLI/Crossfire.

Which is to say, in my opinion SLI/Crossfire is similar in that, although it is often bragged about and concentrated on as the most important piece of the performance puzzle (or in the case of the penis, sexual performance), in actuality it contributes a substantially smaller gain than the reputation is possesses would suggest (i.e. size isn't everything).

It certainly isn't completely irrelevant (as size is not completely irrelevant), however, it is not the do-all end-all of videocard performance (as there are many other factors that will determine the success of a given sexual encounter other than the size of the man's member).

Dollar for dollar, a man's money to increase his performance might better be spent on, say, an entirely new videocard (or, furthering the metaphor, buying asome Viagara) instead of a second videocard to run in parralel via SLI/Crossfire (the equivalent of major penis surgery to enhance length).

Summarized thusly: SLI/Crossfire = e-penis

cleeve

Illustrious
Now we are in agreement. It isn't everything but sometimes it doesn't hurt either :)

Exactly! There's nothing wrong with being able to afford the medical proceedure to be another John Holmes.

But if you can't afford it, invest a smaller amount of funds in Viagara for 90% of the final result!

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Now we are in agreement. It isn't everything but sometimes it doesn't hurt either :)

Exactly! There's nothing wrong with being able to afford the medical proceedure to be another John Holmes.

But if you can't afford it, invest a smaller amount of funds in Viagara for 90% of the final result!

LMFAO... wow there's an image

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
sli/crossfire are fine if you have the money, but aren't really neccessary, or cost effective, but if you wanted the best possible performance right now, you'd go and buy 2x x1900xtx at 750cad a piece, but then your cpu would probably bottleneck it and you'd go buy some fx-57 or fx-60, at another 1000-1200cad, but the your RAM...

I think crossfire is better cause it seems to be more efficient in some way, increasing more performance over a single card compard to sli, but openGL games don't support it as well and therefore sli works better. also, there are barly any good crossfire mobo's which is very annoying.

I like what somebody said to me yesterday, about the 6 month rule for buying parts, after 6 months, they've been tested, price dropped, and best of all are still very good.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Everyone is right SLI/Crossfire is good :D and bad. :(

Pro's = high resolution gaming with good performance

Con's = it cost from $850-$1000 to aquire

So if you don't care spending you savings for college then go for it.

I am now officially broke by the way. :twisted:

well, you can SLi with $250...not a smart move, but you can...

Xfire and SLi must DIE!

They are the unholy half-dead!

They jsut don't know it yet.

PS, we need to make a good post we can link to about SLi/Xfire (maybe in mpjesse's poll).

HEhe, I said POLL! :twisted:

Pretty much SLi and Xfire IMO are for those with unlimited budgets or limited upgrade paths. And as Crshman showed there is some workstation benifit to SLi that went beyond just a jump to the next level card.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
smoke and mirrors about sums it up.....Only real benifit is in super high res gaming and 3dyank05. There are no games that benefit from sli/cf enough to justify dropping 2X the cash for a card. In most cases the performance decreases. Its smarter and more cost effective to just go out and by the latest and greatest card than to jump on the sli bandwagon. Sry if i offended any of you ......but its the truth.
Show me these cases where the performance decreases with SLI, vs a single card.
No one every takes into consideration, your processor has an effect on your framerate too.

I agree the situation is better, but for people who just play those games that have a negative impact, that's a huge chunk of money for nothing.

I'm just supporting the fact that the benifit isn't global, despite what ATi and nV say.

Even for those who talk about ATi Xfire's greater overall compatibility and benifit, their solution has major holes to.

My main point, research before you buy or you may be waisting alot of time and money.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I agree the situation is better, but for people who just play those games that have a negative impact, that's a huge chunk of money for nothing.

I'm just supporting the fact that the benifit isn't global, despite what ATi and nV say.

Even for those who talk about ATi Xfire's greater overall compatibility and benifit, their solution has major holes to.

My main point, research before you buy or you may be waisting alot of time and money.

/agreed

I still haven't figured out why my SLI drivers dont have application specific profiles in them when they should though, any thoughts?

TTBaxter

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Now if you have yourself a nice Dell 3007WFP 30" widescreen monitor you're going to need some kick to run that sucker at 2560x1600 native resolution!
I just ordered one of these monitors. I am building a new rig with an FX-60 and 2 7900's. I want SLI simply so I can be sure it will run well at 2560x1600. When new video cards come out I will just replace the 7900's probably with new DirectX 10 hardware.
I also own the Dell 20 inch and a 24 inch Dell2405FPW which I am currently gaming on. I expect the 3007WFP to be awesome for gaming...

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
SLI/Crossfire = e-penis

stop it

i thought it was funny. but sli/x-fire does just seem to be like an argument between kindergarteners.

Kid 1: "I have two crayons, and you only have one."

Kid 2: "But you only have two green crayons, but I have a gold crayon."

Kid 1: "That's not fair!"

it's just so that you can say "mine's better than yours."

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
smoke and mirrors about sums it up.....Only real benifit is in super high res gaming and 3dyank05. There are no games that benefit from sli/cf enough to justify dropping 2X the cash for a card. In most cases the performance decreases. Its smarter and more cost effective to just go out and by the latest and greatest card than to jump on the sli bandwagon. Sry if i offended any of you ......but its the truth.
Prove that SLI and Crossfire ususally decrease performance. Everyone always says "It's 2X as much but doesn't give 2x the performance" They always forget you're not doubling your PC; your CPU also has an impact on your game performance.