What is the difference between WD standard RMA and advanced RMA?

Rajib97

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Hi,

Currently I have a faulty WD Blue 1TB Internal hard drIve where the system is suddenly no longer recognising my hard drive after a system crash (I used it as a secondary drive for steam games)

I was hoping to RMA it as I only bought it in February of this year.

What is the difference between standard RMA and advanced RMA?
Would it be ok to return to them without formatting it as I cannot access it no longer?

Thanks

Solution
If I remember correctly... the difference b/w regular RMA and Advanced RMA is that in regular RMA they only ship the product only after receiving the drive from you and in advanced they'll will ship the product before receiving the defective one...

Defective is defective you don't have to format it to return it.

Make sure the you read the RMA description, it should be listed on WD website on the RMA procedure somewhere.

sansari786

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
If I remember correctly... the difference b/w regular RMA and Advanced RMA is that in regular RMA they only ship the product only after receiving the drive from you and in advanced they'll will ship the product before receiving the defective one...

Defective is defective you don't have to format it to return it.

Make sure the you read the RMA description, it should be listed on WD website on the RMA procedure somewhere.

Solution
Depending on the place of purchase you may have to be in a partner program or request the RMA with in a certain period from date of purchase. If approved for advanced replacement they will sometimes require a credit card in which they will block out or reserve a portion to cover the cost of the replacement drive. With the advanced replacement you have a better chance getting a new drive instead of a refurbished drive which you normally get with the standard RMA. Most likely you will have to cover shipping expense at least 1 way. Some of partner programs may offer to cover shipping.

When it comes to RMAing products the key is to act on it quickly too many people and business put it off not wanting to deal with it and they miss the period completely or don't get the same options they would if they would have filed right away. You can always cancel later if it turns out the product isn't the issue. It's best to be safe and request one right way if you suspect the product is bad.

Rajib97

Reputable
May 18, 2015

Thanks for the clarity, in my case what would be the best rma method to carry out? By the way I bought this drive new from amazon uk. I've never done one ever before

Amazon in my area is pretty easy to work with, so I would start the process right away and see what your options are. If you need advanced replacement ask about it.

You may want to register your drive with WD and download the WD Drive utilities and run the diagnostics to test the drive.

Rajib97

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Just went ahead and choose standard RMA. I wasn't too sure but I really hope it was the right one to do. They say i have to return my faulty one within 30 days, me having to pay for postage which i'm fine with, and then they'll ship another out to me.

Rajib97

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I still can't seem to find specific details on what's the difference. I took sansari786's reponse here as being the main difference between the two. Either way, I'm in no rush to get it replaced, as long as WD give me back a drive that works :)

Rajib97

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Finally found it after looking closer on the WD website. The first response on this thread was right: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=8

"Advance Replacement We ship the replacement product to you first before receiving your defective product. You have 30 days to send us your defective product. In order to use this service, a valid credit card is required. The credit card is used to insure that WD receives the returned product within 30 days from the date the replacement drive was shipped to you."

"Standard Replacement We will ship you the replacement product after we have received your defective product"

I think that was explained in several posts. I hope all goes well on your RMA.