Question What is the minimum power consumption for i512400 ?

Jan 8, 2022
Hi. I'm consider to buy i512400. Does anyone knows what is the power consumption for this CPU when for example browsing the internet only? 90% time when I'm using PC I'm doing simple tasks like browsing, so I'm interested how much power is used. Ideally I want to buy the CPU which has a very low power consumption during simple day-to-day tasks, but also which I can use for gaming. There will be also this new CPU i5 12400T or 12500T which potentially will be the best option, but is currently not on sale yet, so I'm wondering how good or bad is 12400. Thanks

You can adjust the power draw from bios or even from windows but even left alone the CPU will downclock and use very little power when not doing demanding things.
The T version is nothing else then a CPU that they have adjusted the TDP lower, which you can do yourself on a normal CPU.

Jan 8, 2022
ok, thanks, I didn't know that power draw can be adjusted. That will be obviously ideal and when I want to play games I can put it back to its original values. Btw I'v also noticed that actually this Intel 'T' series CPUs historically hasn't been widely available on sale. I'm not sure why was like this. So probably the same will be with Alder Lake 'T' series. But is strange, what is the point to announce the product which can't be purchased. Basically even on eBay or Amazon you can't buy older versions 'T' series.

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
ok, thanks, I didn't know that power draw can be adjusted. That will be obviously ideal and when I want to play games I can put it back to its original values. Btw I'v also noticed that actually this Intel 'T' series CPUs historically hasn't been widely available on sale. I'm not sure why was like this. So probably the same will be with Alder Lake 'T' series. But is strange, what is the point to announce the product which can't be purchased. Basically even on eBay or Amazon you can't buy older versions 'T' series.
T versions are sold with tiny machines and stuff so they can handle the temps.
Yes you can manage your voltage as long as you don't get BSOD.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi. I'm consider to buy i512400. Does anyone knows what is the power consumption for this CPU when for example browsing the internet only? 90% time when I'm using PC I'm doing simple tasks like browsing, so I'm interested how much power is used. Ideally I want to buy the CPU which has a very low power consumption during simple day-to-day tasks, but also which I can use for gaming. There will be also this new CPU i5 12400T or 12500T which potentially will be the best option, but is currently not on sale yet, so I'm wondering how good or bad is 12400. Thanks
Its not just the CPU.
You have to add in all the other stuff.
GPU, drives, fans, whatever blinken lights are in there.

A semi recent PC, at mostly idle, will consume maybe 75-100watts, incl monitor. This has not really changed over the last several years.

That's great. Thanks. I think the option to reduce power draw will be the best to go for if I need to save energy.
I don't know if this behavior is the same, but I recall if you set the maximum processor power state in Windows' power management, it will cause the frequency to scale accordingly. And with 99% the CPU basically doesn't boost.

However, you should take a look at the total power draw of the system, rather than just the CPU.