What is the most powerful FM2+ socket type CPU?

CrazyMateo

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Right now, I have the Gigabyte GA- F2A88X-UP4 FM2+ ATX Motherboard with the AMD X4 760K CPU. I was wondering what my upgrade options are.

Solution
860K is the best it gets for discrete CPUs on the FM2+ platform.

A10-7850K is the flagship APU option.

Both are quad core Steamroller CPUs that offer a few minor improvements over the 760K.

The biggest performance advantage is in workloads that bottleneck on the instruction decoders of the 760K. The 760K has 2 instruction decoders, while the 860K has 4. This improves MP performance scaling quite a bit in some workloads. Where we often see ~1.75X performance scaling from 1 to 2 threads on a piledriver module, steamroller scales as well as 1.95X.
The AMD X4 860K is the best you can get on that motherboard. Here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113379. I would seriously think about making the switch to Intel. But that costs quite a bit more.

mdocod

Distinguished
860K is the best it gets for discrete CPUs on the FM2+ platform.

A10-7850K is the flagship APU option.

Both are quad core Steamroller CPUs that offer a few minor improvements over the 760K.

The biggest performance advantage is in workloads that bottleneck on the instruction decoders of the 760K. The 760K has 2 instruction decoders, while the 860K has 4. This improves MP performance scaling quite a bit in some workloads. Where we often see ~1.75X performance scaling from 1 to 2 threads on a piledriver module, steamroller scales as well as 1.95X.

Solution
They're APU's. They're made to run without a graphics card. They're made for light use and no gaming. Since you have a graphics card, you don't want it. It's not for you.
What's your total budget? I would get a new motherboard, CPU and a new copy of windows (you need it if you get a new motherboard).

CrazyMateo

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Okay, I understand. Thank you. What do you think I could get for my current Motherboard and CPU if I sold them (they're only a couple months old)? Maybe $150? Anyway, you said to get Intel gear, but isn't AMD known to give a better value at this price range? Why did you recommend Intel, and do you have any specific parts you could recommend?

CrazyMateo

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

What about an FX 4300? 6300?

A 6300 is good especially if you overclock it, but still, I wouldn't unless your gaming is just unbearable. it just wouldn't be worth it. If you are playing some very CPU demanding games (or whatever), then let me know as that will determine what CPU is best if you decide to upgrade.

mdocod

Distinguished

The only A10's that are locked, are those without a "K" in their model number.

The A10-7700K and A10-7850K are unlocked. Both the CPU and iGPU can be performance tuned.

My mistake, I was thinking of a specific A10 when I typed that.