what is the number of writes for evo 850 before it fails?

Mohammed Allam

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
so i bought samsung evo 850 250gb and I have written so far 0.22 terabytes in the last 4 days, so what is the maximum data writes before it fails plz???

Solution

It's a TLC+Simulated SLC hybrid rated for about 3k writes, so ~750TB on average before cell degradation occurs.

However, USAFRet has it somewhat backwords. The SSD is likely to die due to controller/firmware faults or a secondary component failing on the PCB before it experiences NAND degradation.
The reality is that consumer SSD's have 0-5-2% annual failure rates during their warranty period and they rise exponentially after that just like with hard disks.

This is on par with hard drive failure rates 10 years ago, so the 50th percentile for SSD failure is probably between 5-7...

USAFRet

Titan
Current consumer grade SSD's have been tested to go beyond 600TB total writes. Some past 1000 TB total writes.

0.22 in 4 days means nothing.
1. It is a new drive and you are still installing things. You won't maintain that write level over time.
2. The warranty is 75TB.
3. It will be obsolete due to space long before it 'dies'.

My current boot drive, a 120GB Kingston, 3 years of 24/7 use, has approx 12.5TB total writes.
I'll leave it to you to extrapolate out 12TB in 3 years vs 75TB warranty.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

It's a TLC+Simulated SLC hybrid rated for about 3k writes, so ~750TB on average before cell degradation occurs.

However, USAFRet has it somewhat backwords. The SSD is likely to die due to controller/firmware faults or a secondary component failing on the PCB before it experiences NAND degradation.
The reality is that consumer SSD's have 0-5-2% annual failure rates during their warranty period and they rise exponentially after that just like with hard disks.

This is on par with hard drive failure rates 10 years ago, so the 50th percentile for SSD failure is probably between 5-7 years. if you continue to write to the drive at the rate you listed you should reach 750TB in 3500 days or about 10 years.
In other words, more likely than not this drive will fail with in 5-10 years of use regardless of what loads it's under.

USAFRet is right though about the capcity of the drive requiring you to upgrade within that time though. SSD's under 1TB will become obsolete in 5-10 years for sure.

Solution

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I have a Corsair SSD that may or may not have problems. I ran into OS issues and tried to do a restore to a few days old automatic restore point, and it failed and told me to do a chkdsk /r, which I did and it didn't appear to fix or find any problems. Crystal Disk shows it as 100% good but I'm sure there is something that will give me more detail. I'll check to see if Corsair has their own diag stuff.

TRENDING THREADS