Question What is the Proper way of undervolting for i7-13700k in the bios or using XTU to minimize temp without reducing the performance?

Feb 7, 2023
cpu: i7-13700k
mobo: Asrock z690 steel legend
Good day to all, for all those who are experience in undervolting or may I say a knowledgeable people who can share me either better number that can minimize my cpu temp. I am currently using cougar Aqua 240mm liquid cooler. Thus I am waiting my bracket to arrive from shipping and soon will use NZXT KRAKEN X53 Cooler. Can someone share any TIPS or advice for undervolting. Thanks in advance.

By the way My current temp on idle is 60 degrees and after a minute it goes back to 45 to 55 degress. on Cinebench multithread my score is 30155 only with a max temperature of 90.

One quick way to knock down power consumption is to disable E cores. That's doable in the BIOS on some boards....maybe all boards? Then test how much performance you gave up.

You can also set thermal limits.

I'm sure there are other ways to directly alter voltages.

Reactions: Djake
Reducing your performance by manipulating voltage is not a great idea.
Current processors, by default, will attempt to give you maximum performance given the environmental situation. They will turbo up to the max until the 100c. throttle point is reached.
Nothing wrong with that. 13700 series are built for it.
Fiddling with voltage settings is far more likely to cause unintended damage.

I'm confused eah time I see a thread about undervolting. If you can reduce operating volatges without losing any performance in order to reduce the thermal load, I understand.

But to undervolt and lose performance I don't understand. Yes, Intel has the best IPC on the market at the moment but there is an associated cost with that other than just the purchase price. If you plan on getting one of these high end high TDP processors than proper cooling is a must to get the rated performance.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Untrue, undervolting is normal and many times completely necessary on Z690/Z790 motherboards. The reason? Because motherboard manufacturers, by default, boost voltages and have Enhanced Turbo settings turned on just so their boards can get higher benchmark numbers when given to reviewers.

My 13600K was allowed to be power unlocked to 288W by my bios the minute I installed my CPU, and Enhanced Turbo was on, which means my default bios was basically overclocking my CPU. Cutting my allowed wattage down by 100W and dropping my CPU voltage to -0.65 brought my highest temp down by 20c

I have seen no noticeable loss in FPS while gaming, and some benchmarks even score higher because my temps aren't causing my cores to throttle.

logainofhades

Titan
Current processors, by default, will attempt to give you maximum performance given the environmental situation. They will turbo up to the max until the 100c. throttle point is reached.
Nothing wrong with that. 13700 series are built for it.
Fiddling with voltage settings is far more likely to cause unintended damage.

Undervolting doesn't always reduce performance. In some cases, you get a bit of boost, as you can hit higher boost clocks, before hitting thermal walls, due to less voltage.

I found that video I mentioned earlier.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jjopjkJzxA

TRENDING THREADS