Question What is wrong with my computer? It keeps lagging in Word and Excel!

Jan 27, 2020
Build:
Ryzen 9 3900X
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
32 GB 3200 MHz
Dual EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (non SLI)
1000W PSU
1 TB 970 EVO M.2
3 TB Seagate
InWin 309 Case
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R

and 7 monitors.

Windows 10 Home
Version 1909

My computer is running 7 monitors currently. I couldn't SLI the 2070s because SLI doesn't allow me to output on the second GPU.

It only lags on Word and Excel. Then the entire computer just slows down after that. Nothing is peaking in the task manager. Ram gets up to maybe 14gb out of 32gb. Cpu doesn't even hit 10%. Both the GPUs get to about 30%. Bios, windows, drivers, everything is updated. I just don't understand why Word and Excel give me problems.
ODdzzCX.jpg

Build:
Ryzen 9 3900X
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
32 GB 3200 MHz
Dual EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (non SLI)
1000W PSU
1 TB 970 EVO M.2
3 TB Seagate
InWin 309 Case
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R

and 7 monitors.

Windows 10 Home
Version 1909

My computer is running 7 monitors currently. I couldn't SLI the 2070s because SLI doesn't allow me to output on the second GPU.

It only lags on Word and Excel. Then the entire computer just slows down after that. Nothing is peaking in the task manager. Ram gets up to maybe 14gb out of 32gb. Cpu doesn't even hit 10%. Both the GPUs get to about 30%. Bios, windows, drivers, everything is updated. I just don't understand why Word and Excel give me problems.
ODdzzCX.jpg

What are you doing in Word / Excel that requires 7 screens?! I think you need to keep in mind neither bit of software is optimised to use multiple cores very well so you could be single thread limited. I am also surprised you are seing ~ 30% usage on the gpu, I didn't think either bit of software used any kind of 3D acceleration at all?

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Things you may test :

- disable HPET in the bios settings
although i tried to find the setting for your mobo but didn't find it
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C37v1.1.pdf

- install latest AMD chipset drivers

- make sure your power plan is set to "ryzen balanced"

- make sure your ram is set to XMP profile, or else it will runs at 2133 mhz and slows downs the CPU (on ryzen, the bus speed between the cores is tied to ram's speed)

- make sure you installed 64bit version of office. by default 32bit version is installed.
how to know ? easy, open excel or word, and check the task manager. if the tasts says "(32 bit)", well it is.

office 64 bit is stable on office 2013 and 2019. not much on office 2010
if you have an old version of office, you can find 2019 keys for cheap on ebay

- make sure your excel formulas don't try to reach external ressources on a slow drive or over network

on a side note, extreme multi monitor setups works best with ATI/AMD gpus

Last edited:
Reactions: cdrkf
Jan 27, 2020
Things you may test :

- disable HPET in the bios settings
although i tried to find the setting for your mobo but didn't find it
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C37v1.1.pdf

- install latest AMD chipset drivers

- make sure your power plan is set to "ryzen balanced"

- make sure your ram is set to XMP profile, or else it will runs at 2133 mhz and slows downs the CPU (on ryzen, the bus speed between the cores is tied to ram's speed)

- make sure you installed 64bit version of office. by default 32bit version is installed.
how to know ? easy, open excel or word, and check the task manager. if the tasts says "(32 bit)", well it is.

office 64 bit is stable on office 2013 and 2019. not much on office 2010
if you have an old version of office, you can find 2019 keys for cheap on ebay

- make sure your excel formulas don't try to reach external ressources on a slow drive or over network

on a side note, extreme multi monitor setups works best with ATI/AMD gpus
Drivers: check
Ryzen balanced: check
XMP: check
64bit: check
no external resources: check

all of these were checked before I posted this. Thank you though!

as for the HPET, I'll have to have a look when I can!

Jan 27, 2020
What are you doing in Word / Excel that requires 7 screens?! I think you need to keep in mind neither bit of software is optimised to use multiple cores very well so you could be single thread limited. I am also surprised you are seing ~ 30% usage on the gpu, I didn't think either bit of software used any kind of 3D acceleration at all?
So,
I also do a lot of trading. I have the monitors up for buying and selling a lot of the time. I also use a lot of adobe for architectural blueprints. So I always have information displaying on all the screens at all times. Just word and excel are the only two apps I have that are giving me problems.

What version of office are you using? My brother was having trouble with Office 2007 on windows 10 and he found about some Windows 10 KB update that was messing it up, he uninstalled that update an now it works great, I would have to ask him what the number was.

The only thing that would make sense is there is a bit of software (or combination therof) that is interfering with Word / Excel somehow.

You could try performing a clean boot and see if that improves the performance of Word / Excel (if you haven't done that before, type in 'msconfig' into the windows 10 search box and run the system configuration utility, go to the 'services' tab, check the 'hide all microsoft services' then disable everything else and reboot your machine- that will disable all non essential background services including driver utilities and such and would help determine if some bit of software on the machine is the culprit).

If that doesn't work you could also try booting up in safe mode and testing again. If the software behaves in safe mode that would suggest there is some driver related issue with office.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
one thing you can check is DPC latency
sometimes, bad drivers can send a lot of interupts to the system on certain conditions. cold be the network card or the sound card etc.

a software exists to mesure the DPC latency. it's not always acurate but gives a good hint most of the times.
name of the software is "DPC Latency checker"

a post here in the forums explains it all :
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/latency-issue-on-new-pc.3060087/post-19105611

popatim

Titan
Do you run any add-ins?
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration? (in Advanced options display section)
Are you live syncing with onedrive?

lastly, I've heard that if office is looking for a printer it can't find then it will slow down drastically as well.

Jan 27, 2020
Do you run any add-ins?
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration? (in Advanced options display section)
Are you live syncing with onedrive?

lastly, I've heard that if office is looking for a printer it can't find then it will slow down drastically as well.
No add-ins
Yes I have disabled hardware acceleration
I am not live syncing
I very VERY rarely print. I haven't printed since I built this PC.