Question What is wrong with my PC?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello,

My PC was working fine yesterday. This morning, I turned it on but although I could see the RGB on the motherboard lighting, the two displays it connected to via the Nvidia GPU reported that there was no input signals. Unplugged one cable from the GPU and connected it directly to the HDMI port of the motherboard. Also did not work. I unplugged a USB device from the PC and I heard the usual sound of unplugging from Windows 10. Plugged it back and unplugged it again did not produce that sound. I tried to do a remote login from an iPad but it reported that the PC was not turned on. Checked the internet connection at home and it is working fine. Forced the machine to shutdown and rebooted several times. Nothing worked. Then, I moved the PC to another room and connected it to another display directly from the HDMI port of the motherboard. Also nothing worked. I then unplugged the cable from the HDMI port of the motherboard and plugged it to the GPU. Now the PC is working.

What is wrong? Is some part(s) of the machine dying? Is the PC hacked? I built the PC about five years ago. The specs are:

i9-9900K, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme, EVGA Nvidia RTX2080Ti, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB,

Sounds like the GPU driver either got confused or hung.
Not getting any signal from the HDMI port on the motherboard with a GPU installed is typical because often a BIOS will disable the onboard video if a GPU is present.

Might try completely removing the nVidia drivers and reloading the latest version.

Reactions: modeonoff

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Sounds like the GPU driver either got confused or hung.
Not getting any signal from the HDMI port on the motherboard with a GPU installed is typical because often a BIOS will disable the onboard video if a GPU is present.

Might try completely removing the nVidia drivers and reloading the latest version.

Thank you. If that is the case, how come when I tried to remote login from an iPad several times, it reported that the PC was not turned on?

BTW, I was doing Windows Update on another PC last night. I don't recall if I did it to this PC. Right now, Windows on this PC is performing some updates related to Windows 10 22H2. Do you think I did Windows update which had something wrong?

I have just updated the latest Nvidia driver.

Last edited:
Thank you. If that is the case, how come when I tried to remote login from an iPad several times, it reported that the PC was not turned on?
It's hard to say. Not all remote login software is created equal ESPECIALLY when attempting to go from iOS/Mac to PC.
BTW, I was doing Windows Update on another PC last night. I don't recall if I did it to this PC. Right now, Windows on this PC is performing some updates related to Windows 10 22H2. Do you think I did Windows update which had something wrong?
I don't think there is any correlation between the two. I just recently finished updating about 50+ pcs at my work and had no issues.

Reactions: modeonoff

Latest posts