[SOLVED] What is wrong with my port forward?

mician33

Commendable
Feb 12, 2021
I am attempting to create a Valheim server but none of the ports I've created can be connected to via a port checker (they time out). I was told this might mean I have made a mistake. Have I?
(enabled) Service: (I named it) Protocol: (TCP-UDP) External Host: (left blank) Internal Host: (my reserved ip for the computer the server is on) External Port: (2456-2458) Internal Port: (2456-2458)
My ISP is Optus, and the modem/router is a Sagemcom gateway.
NAT Enable is on and so is UPnP IGd

Solution
Try using the DMZ mode in the router first that tends to be less confusing than port forwarding on many routers. If it works you can then figure out what is wrong with the port forward rules since you don't want to use dmz long term.

The most common causes are the program is not actually active and responding on the port you think it is and/or you do not have a public IP address. Check that the ip you see assigned to your router wan port is the same as ip you see on sites like whatsmyip.
Try using the DMZ mode in the router first that tends to be less confusing than port forwarding on many routers. If it works you can then figure out what is wrong with the port forward rules since you don't want to use dmz long term.

The most common causes are the program is not actually active and responding on the port you think it is and/or you do not have a public IP address. Check that the ip you see assigned to your router wan port is the same as ip you see on sites like whatsmyip.

Solution
Feb 14, 2021
I am having a similar issue so I tried to set Valheim ports to a different port which I know works properly as I use it for a 7 days to die dedicated server. After shutting down 7 days to die server and switching ports in Valheim's start_headless.bat the port is no longer open. After enabling DMZ it still shows closed on canyouseeme.org I am missing something somewhere.

Feb 14, 2021
Please explain me is this service (server) is on your computer and can you check it in local network working?

Yes the server comes up on local networking. I can connect to it from my machine where I am hosting the "server", others can connect to the "server" while I'm on it, but when I am offline no one else can connect to it.

Since this is VERY often the problem, your WAN IP address does NOT start with 10.x.y.z, or 192.168.x.y or 100. 64.x.y ? Any of those combinations will prevent port forwarding.

No WAN IP is none of those. its 173.216.x.y

kanewolf

Titan
Yes the server comes up on local networking. I can connect to it from my machine where I am hosting the "server", others can connect to the "server" while I'm on it, but when I am offline no one else can connect to it.

No WAN IP is none of those. its 173.216.x.y
Have you tried running wireshark on your static IP host? Do you see any traffic on the ports you expect ?