Question Weird arcing noise from my PSU, what's wrong with it ?

Jul 6, 2024
Hello guys, I have this weird problem with my PSU and all my researches on various websites are inconclusive. I hope you can help me figuring this.

My desktop computer has a main SSD + an extra HDD.
Whenever my system spins this HDD, my PSU starts makes this arcing noise located precisely on the female port where you plug the power cord.

At first I thought It just wasn't plugged all the way in, and indeed when i apply a bit more force the noise instantly disapears. But it is plugged all the way in, I pushed it firmly with all my strength it won't go further. Still it's not enough, the noise only disappears if a slight horizontal pressure is applied.

I tried with a brand new power cord and the result is the same, the only way I've found to fix it temporarily is a wonky montage made of 2 zip ties tied to the male port and the nearest case feet. But it never lasts longer than a couple days or 1 week if i'm lucky, because there's no anchoring point allowing me to apply a fully horizontal force.

Besides that the computer works fine, and the issue only happens when the HDD is spinning. There's no performance decrease, no high temperatures, and the voltages on HW monitor are stable.

Do you have any idea of what's going on ? The only answers I get on other websites are " just replace the PSU by a better one and the HDD by an SSD, and do it yourself it's not that hard " . Bruh i'm clueless about electronic hardware and the parts alone would cost me around 150 $, let's throw an additionnal 50 for a technician and i'm down for 200 $ of repairs just for a noise.

I'm not even sure changing those 2 parts would fix the issue, plus my computer may be well maintained and adapted to my needs but still it's a 2 years old PC with 2020 CPU / GPU. Today it's not worth more than 500 $ and i'm relunctant about throwing almost half of it's value into vague repairs. Isn't there a cheaper solution ? Maybe some kind of specialized " clamp " to replace this shit ziptie montage ?

Thank you for reading

edit : sorry here is the specs

PSU : EVGA 550W Bronze
CPU: intel i5 10400f
GPU : RTX 3050 8gb
Ram : Corsair vengeance 2x8 gb
Storage : M2 SSD + WD blue 1 To HDD

Last edited:
Whenever my system spins this HDD, my PSU starts makes this arcing noise located precisely on the female port where you plug the power cord.
when i apply a bit more force the noise instantly disapears.
Loose cable connection inside PSU.
Do you have any idea of what's going on ? The only answers I get on other websites are " just replace the PSU by a better one
Yeah. That's the smartest suggestion.

Fixing it would require opening up PSU and resoldering loose connection.
Keep in mind - there are high voltage capacitors inside PSU.
If you go inside there yourself and don't know, what you're doing, it may end lethal for you.

Just replace the damn thing. Not worth to loose your life or have serious injury just to save $100.

Jul 6, 2024
Loose cable connection inside PSU.

Yeah. That's the smartest suggestion.

Fixing it would require opening up PSU and resoldering loose connection.
Keep in mind - there are high voltage capacitors inside PSU.
If you go inside there yourself and don't know, what you're doing, it may end lethal for you.

Just replace the damn thing. Not worth to loose your life or have serious injury just to save $100.
I see, but then why it only happens with my hdd ? If it was related to the amount of juice pumped by the system I should also get this sound when playing games no ?

Sometimes those loose connections are caused by a cold solder joint. The connection is still there, but it isn't solid. Sometimes capacitors do this as they fail, but mostly there would be an outright complete failure (and perhaps sparks) after doing this for a short time. Sometimes coils can vibrate due to the AC current and magnetism, and abrade the insulation over years. Same though, I think that would end in something impressive and not continue for a long time. The cold solder joint seems more likely. Your HDD would not use enough power to cause this, but if it is the effect of something like magnetism moving a coil around, then increased current would increase the magnetism and move the coil more.

Jul 6, 2024
Sometimes those loose connections are caused by a cold solder joint. The connection is still there, but it isn't solid. Sometimes capacitors do this as they fail, but mostly there would be an outright complete failure (and perhaps sparks) after doing this for a short time. Sometimes coils can vibrate due to the AC current and magnetism, and abrade the insulation over years. Same though, I think that would end in something impressive and not continue for a long time. The cold solder joint seems more likely. Your HDD would not use enough power to cause this, but if it is the effect of something like magnetism moving a coil around, then increased current would increase the magnetism and move the coil more.
I see thank you , so to be clear the only way to fix this problem is to replace the PSU ? I'm not opening it and I don't think the few PC joints in my town will either. Do you know any good brands for a 550w PSU ? I'm looking for something reliable, as silent as possible and if possible not above the 75$ mark.

Do you know any good brands for a 550w PSU ?
I'm looking for something reliable, as silent as possible and if possible not above the 75$ mark.
Something from Seasonic G12 line perhaps?

With fixed cables (slightly less expensive)

With semi-modular cables

Reactions: hrdwrepsu
I see thank you , so to be clear the only way to fix this problem is to replace the PSU ? I'm not opening it and I don't think the few PC joints in my town will either. Do you know any good brands for a 550w PSU ? I'm looking for something reliable, as silent as possible and if possible not above the 75$ mark.
Probably the supply is on its way out, but unless you open it for repair, then you can't tell. Maybe it is just a buzzing sound from a transformer or coil, but if it truly is an arcing sound, then you should replace the supply A.S.A.P.. I don't have any particular supply recommendations, but I will suggest a crowbar short circuit protection is important (shorts won't destroy such a supply; mostly, when a supply does completely fail from overcurrent, it takes a number of components down with it). Lots of reviews here on Tom's Hardware for power supplies.

Jul 6, 2024
ok thank you guys a lot ! This seasonic PSU looks like what i'm looking for, and It makes me save enough money to hire a technician.
Something from Seasonic G12 line perhaps?

With fixed cables (slightly less expensive)

With semi-modular cables

Probably the supply is on its way out, but unless you open it for repair, then you can't tell. Maybe it is just a buzzing sound from a transformer or coil, but if it truly is an arcing sound, then you should replace the supply A.S.A.P.. I don't have any particular supply recommendations, but I will suggest a crowbar short circuit protection is important (shorts won't destroy such a supply; mostly, when a supply does completely fail from overcurrent, it takes a number of components down with it). Lots of reviews here on Tom's Hardware for power supplies.