Question What is your favorite GPU of all time?

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Greetings!

Technology is changing so quickly that it can be tough to develop a deep attachment to any one item. However, through the years we've all likely made that one really big purchase that left us feeling like we were way ahead of the curve.

When I first caught the bug to build computers from scratch, the litmus test for any GPU was how it could run Crysis. At the time, next to nothing could really do it justice.

Many years after it came out, I was still using that game to test the power of graphics hardware and the GeForce 7800 GTX was my first card to run everything on high settings. It wasn't a perfect experience, given limitations I had in other hardware, but that is the first time a graphics card really blew me away.

What graphics card/GPU do you have fond memories of using?

Greetings!

Technology is changing so quickly that it can be tough to develop a deep attachment to any one item. However, through the years we've all likely made that one really big purchase that left us feeling like we were way ahead of the curve.

When I first caught the bug to build computers from scratch, the litmus test for any GPU was how it could run Crysis. At the time, next to nothing could really do it justice.

Many years after it came out, I was still using that game to test the power of graphics hardware and the GeForce 7800 GTX was my first card to run everything on high settings. It wasn't a perfect experience, given limitations I had in other hardware, but that is the first time a graphics card really blew me away.

What graphics card/GPU do you have fond memories of using?
Radeon 9800 Pro
The original Geforce 2 MX

I have to go with the OG (Original Gamer) 3dfx Voodoo. At a time when 3D 'decelerators' like the S3 Virge were the only other option, 3dfx came out with an expansion card that literally kicked the asses of every other graphics card. They were 3D-only, of course, so you still needed a Virge (or whatever) card for other work, but games like GLQuake and Whiplash kicked off the 3D revolution.

Sadly, 3dfx wasn't able to adjust with the changing demands of the market, and while the Voodoo 2 was good, the Voodoo 3 fell behind and we don't really need to talk about Voodoo 5 6000. Because a picture is everything you need to see:
naa1f52im4211.jpg

That is not a fake rendering of a hypothetical graphics card but is a product that actually existed. Well, it existed as a prototype at least -- the Voodoo 5 6000 was never available at retail. Quad SLI years before Nvidia and AMD would attempt that feat. It was hubris.

Actually, maybe the Voodoo 5 6000 should be my pick? How can you not love that monstrosity!?

Mar 11, 2020
my favorite gpu was my radeon HD 8xxx something that had 512 of VRAM on it . i would play modern warfare 3 with this thing.

it was faithful to me until call of duty ghosts came in

it was a gigabyte with 3 cool fans

back then it was quite cheap cause the dollar prices were reasonable then

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I think lost of people are gonna say this, but I love the RX 570. I just recently got into PCs, a year or so ago, and this thing has been there with me since. Such a good card to throw in a budget system or to upgrade an old system. Runs games nicely, is cheap, can be found cheap on the used market if you’re into that. Just such a great card for the price.
I just put the Sapphire Pulse model of the 570 in my new system, and I love it. Runs games as good as I need it to and stays cool in the process.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Easy pick. Geforce 6800GT 512mb as an upgrade in a Medion prebuild to run Battlefield 2 on high settings. It replaced an ATI 9800xt.
The motherboard still had an agp bus and the 6800gt was by far the most powerful card pre-pcie. I paid a fortune of my fathers money for a used model. And people were ripping you off because those cards gained value over the fact that agp was a dead end.
This was my first purchase on ebay too. Ended up paying arround 350€ for a card that was 250€ new 2 years prior.

Cheers

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have to go with the OG (Original Gamer) 3dfx Voodoo. At a time when 3D 'decelerators' like the S3 Virge were the only other option, 3dfx came out with an expansion card that literally kicked the asses of every other graphics card. They were 3D-only, of course, so you still needed a Virge (or whatever) card for other work, but games like GLQuake and Whiplash kicked off the 3D revolution.

Sadly, 3dfx wasn't able to adjust with the changing demands of the market, and while the Voodoo 2 was good, the Voodoo 3 fell behind and we don't really need to talk about Voodoo 5 6000. Because a picture is everything you need to see:
naa1f52im4211.jpg

That is not a fake rendering of a hypothetical graphics card but is a product that actually existed. Well, it existed as a prototype at least -- the Voodoo 5 6000 was never available at retail. Quad SLI years before Nvidia and AMD would attempt that feat. It was hubris.

Actually, maybe the Voodoo 5 6000 should be my pick? How can you not love that monstrosity!?

I prefer the 5500 because it is more or less possible to have one (I do). There were not many 6000s made.

Why hasn't anyone re-made whiplash? Perhaps a rocket league mod...

ATI All-In-Wonder 2006

In addition to reasonably good PC video, it had TV In-Out, video capture built in...

That reminds me of my Power Macintosh 7100/66AV. Being able to record video from my VHS camcorder. Now that I think about it. That may be my favorite video card. The AV Card in the Power Macintosh. It brought me the ability to record video and run a 17" 800x600 Sony Trinitron display at millions of color. Along with the AV processor's ability to use speech recognition.

Sep 30, 2019
The 3dfx Voodoo was my first real GPU, and by the gods, it made my online worlds suddenly come to life in ways I never anticipated. Absolutely glorious.

I remember just sitting at my computer, listening to some Moby and just staring, open-mouthed, at the beautiful visuals. I can remember the scene as if it was yesterday - funny how some things really stick with you.

That was back in the day when I owned a small computer store in a small town (long before big box and online retailers took over) and I called in every gaming nerd I knew to take the Voodoo for a test drive. I bet I sold and installed a hundred in a week, in spite of the then hefty price tag.
It was a real game-changer (pardon the pun).

Last edited:
Wow toss up.
Most memorable was a ti4200 that overclocked like a beast with a copper socket 370 heatsink attached.
Held the Mad Onion 3dmark record for about 6 months.
P3 1.26@1587 167fsb
Ti4200 128mb 320/580 79mhzAGP
Asus TUSL2 Modded bios
512mb micron PC133 3/3/3
Aureal 2500 sound card.
Love my EVGA 1070 SC and ASUS DUAL 1070 cards quite a bit.:devilish:

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I would say the Geforce GTX 750 Ti that i just picked up fairly recently. This was one of the first cards that I installed in a computer, and it played a big role in my introduction to building PCs. I also love its secondhand affordability and ability to work in almost any system.

The first graphics card i really remember made an impression was the Voodoo 3D from the late 90s

I have great memories of the Nvidia Ti 4200 I once had.

The first graphics card I was really excited about buying, was the first graphics card I bought after I had gotten a new job, I went out and bought an AMD Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition. It was the most expensive piece of PC hardware I had at the time, and it really performed great, I was almost kinda proud :p

Well my tech memories don't date back near as long as some here.

However i think my favorite gpu of all time is the original 8800gtx, or really the entire 8800 series.

Massive improvements over the previous cards.

Back when you could just plop another in your system for great sli scaling. Nvidia would even plop 2 onto one card if you needed.