[SOLVED] What is your opinion on this RTX 2080 TI build ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 22, 2019
ryzen 5 2600
Asus Prime A320M-K
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 16GB 2x8GB CL16
Kingston A400 SSD 120GB
Corsair RM650X 650W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2080Ti AMP! Edition 11GB GDDR6
case :
L-Link Kazumi USB 3.0 (comes with 4 120mm fans)

i know that the ryzen 5 2600 is not enough but my dad said i can't go above the budget he gave me for my birthday

so i had to choose between weak CPU (with possibility to upgrade for next months) or weak GPU

what do you think ?

Solution
buying 1360$ GPU with my dads money is not the same as buying 300$ CPU with my own money :)

if you think a heatsink type of mobo is that important no company would make a non heatsink mobo ever otherwise people will complain and sue them don't you think ?
Lots of people buy low power CPUs and use them in ways where getting the most performance doesn't matter (or might not even be looked for/noticed). And no, this wouldn't result in people suing them. PBO and XFR frequencies aren't guaranteed, so as long as the motherboard can handle running the CPU at base clocks the manufacturer isn't lying by saying they support the CPU, even if you aren't necessarily getting the max performance out of it.

And again, even if it can run...
Feb 22, 2019
Ok, but what sort of next gen Ryzen CPU are you wanting to get? What if it has a higher TDP?

Also, with AMD features like Precision Boost Overdrive and XFR, the CPUs sort of OC themselves. But the motherboard would need to be able to handle it.

I guess I don't understand how you can spend $1200+ on a graphics card and then balk at spending an extra $10-20 on a decent motherboard.

buying 1360$ GPU with my dads money is not the same as buying 300$ CPU with my own money :)

if you think a heatsink type of mobo is that important no company would make a non heatsink mobo ever otherwise people will complain and sue them don't you think ?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Lots of people buy low power CPUs and use them in ways where getting the most performance doesn't matter (or might not even be looked for/noticed). And no, this wouldn't result in people suing them. PBO and XFR frequencies aren't guaranteed, so as long as the motherboard can handle running the CPU at base clocks the manufacturer isn't lying by saying they support the CPU, even if you aren't necessarily getting the max performance out of it.

And again, even if it can run a 2600 perfectly, what if the upgrade you get requires more power? As someone said previously, just because AMD says next gen CPUs will be socket/chipset compatible with all current AM4 motherboards doesn't necessarily mean every AM4 motherboard will be adequate to properly run the new CPUs, especially the high end ones.

At the end of the day it's up to you.

Solution
Feb 22, 2019

And again, even if it can run a 2600 perfectly, what if the upgrade you get requires more power?

if so then i would only buy a cpu + mobo which they aren't nearly expensive as the 2080 ti

so i would waste less my own money if i invest my dads money in something is very expensive

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
So who is paying for what here? I got the impression your dad was buying the graphics card and you were buying the CPU + motherboard at least, maybe that's wrong. And who will be paying for the CPU (and possibly motherboard) when next gen Ryzen comes out?

Feb 22, 2019
[/QUOTE]
So who is paying for what here? I got the impression your dad was buying the graphics card and you were buying the CPU + mobo at least, maybe that's wrong.

i can get money but it needs time for now the budget is all on my dad's

for next months the budget is on me for the next CPU even if needed a new mobo

Feb 22, 2019
So who is paying for what here? I got the impression your dad was buying the graphics card and you were buying the CPU + motherboard at least, maybe that's wrong. And who will be paying for the CPU (and possibly motherboard) when next gen Ryzen comes out?
my dad buys the whole pc

and me i buy the next Ryzen cpu + (possibly mobo if needed) in next months