What makes a good audio card

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
i am not sure if this a right question but i am trying to get a new sound card and i done know anything about it i know how good audio sounds but dont know which things to look for while buying a sound card. also should i go for a sound enhancing software like SRS sandbox rather than buying a new sound card.

Solution
^^ No, it doesn't. The Audigy line went obsolete about a decade ago, and isn't supported anymore.

The best under $100 soundcards worth buying:

ASUS Xonar DS [I highly recommend the D1/DX over this is you can afford the extra price]
ASUS Xonar D1/DX [PCI/PCI-E]
HT Omega Striker

Going to the $150 range:
Auzentech Prelude [mainly for EAX support, if that still matters to you]
Auzentech Meridian 2G

High end cards w/ headphone amp:
Auzentech Forte
ASUS Xonar ST/STX [PCI/PCI-E]
ASUS Xonar Xense
HT Omega Claro XT
all depends what you want to do with it and how good your speakers are--most modern motherboards have decent onboard sound that works fine for most people

i believe you can try srs sandbox as a demo to see if its any good or not--or look on youtube to hear what difference it makes--i am pretty sure some one will have it on there

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
thanks guys, i want sound card mainly for games and i am willing to spend $50 for it, srs sandbox is for $30 and its just a software that enhances the sound i have heard the sandbox in action and its pretty impressive but shouldnt a hardware be better than a software adjustment.

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Thanks for the explanation and as per what you explained i found a sound card. CREATIVE SoundBlaster AUDIGY Value 7.1 Sound Card.
is this any good? there are other cheaper options but this one has better specs..

^^ No, it doesn't. The Audigy line went obsolete about a decade ago, and isn't supported anymore.

The best under $100 soundcards worth buying:

ASUS Xonar DS [I highly recommend the D1/DX over this is you can afford the extra price]
ASUS Xonar D1/DX [PCI/PCI-E]
HT Omega Striker

Going to the $150 range:
Auzentech Prelude [mainly for EAX support, if that still matters to you]
Auzentech Meridian 2G

High end cards w/ headphone amp:
Auzentech Forte
ASUS Xonar ST/STX [PCI/PCI-E]
ASUS Xonar Xense
HT Omega Claro XT

Solution
Status