[SOLVED] What makes a good motherboard for m.2 2800? Features?

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
I am looking to put this XPG GAMMIX 512GB S11 Pro into a motherboard / cpu combo and was afraid, in my ignorance, that I would choose a motherboard that would significantly bottleneck its performance somehow because it lacked some key feature. So im curious, what should I be looking for in a motherboard? This build is intended a learning experience for me, not for gaming or anything serious, but it is a real build. Just looking for something that will not significantly bottleneck it, if thats even a concern with this technology. Thanks for reading.

p.s. I have no preference for AMD vs Intel except that the RYZEN seems to be best bang for buck.

Solution
Most B450 motherboards support an m.2 nvme x4 drive.
My advice is that you determine what you will use this new PC for most and what other motherboard features are most important to you.
Then provide us with that information so we can give you accurate feedback.
Just as a reference, look at my signature.
I use my PC for casual gaming, streaming via Plex, web browsing and general business related computing.
My PC performs everything I need it to very well.
I don't have an nvme m.2 SSD, but I my motherboard does support it.
I do have a Crucial MX500 m.2 SATA SSD which works well.
If you aren't comfortable dealing with frequent BIOS updates want a PC that performs well, I strongly recommend a Ryzen 5 2600/B450 based build for now.
In 6...

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Most B450 motherboards support an m.2 nvme x4 drive.
My advice is that you determine what you will use this new PC for most and what other motherboard features are most important to you.
Just as a reference, look at my signature.
I use my PC for casual gaming, streaming via Plex, web browsing and general business related computing.
My PC performs everything I need it to very well.
I don't have an nvme m.2 SSD, but I my motherboard does support it.
I do have a Crucial MX500 m.2 SATA SSD which works well.
If you aren't comfortable dealing with frequent BIOS updates want a PC that performs well, I strongly recommend a Ryzen 5 2600/B450 based build for now.
In 6 months to a year you can upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 Series CPU.

Last edited:
Solution

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013

The primary use will be to CLONE hard drives through a cloning bay, transfer data from external hard drives, create bootable USBs, some light video editing, web design and photoshop based graphic design.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What country do you live in and what is your budget?
Also do you have any components that you can use in this new build?
For a good basic build for your stated uses, I would recommend something similar to my Ryzen 5 2600 build.
It could easily handle any video editing you need to do for a reasonable price.
Answer my questions above and I (and others) can put together some possible builds for you using pcpartpicker.com.

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
What country do you live in and what is your budget?
Also do you have any components that you can use in this new build?
For a good basic build for your stated uses, I would recommend something similar to my Ryzen 5 2600 build.
It could easily handle any video editing you need to do for a reasonable price.
Answer my questions above and I (and others) can put together some possible builds for you using pcpartpicker.com.

I live int he US, currently have a case and this drive XPG GAMMIX 512GB S11 Pro and a box of PSU's and PCIe vid cards. All i would need it the mainboard, ram and processor. So you think the ryzen 3s are not up to par for what i want? I was going to get a budget build. I was looking at these three items ...

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
So you want a very budget build.
Could you swing a Ryzen 5 1400 or 1600?
The extra cores and threads would be much better for video editing if the software you use supports them.
I would also look at B350 boards, because they would be more upgradeable than an A320 board.

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
So you want a very budget build.
Could you swing a Ryzen 5 1400 or 1600?
The extra cores and threads would be much better for video editing if the software you use supports them.
I would also look at B350 boards, because they would be more upgradeable than an A320 board.

What about this board? Paired with a Ryzen 5 and 16GB ddr4 3200 ?

ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Socket AM4/ AMD Promontory B450/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
This cloning business has little or nothing to do with what motherboard you should choose.
Right, not concerned with cloning, just wanting the machine to be paired with items that it will benefit from. I dont want to get a component that will be hindering the Ryzen 3 1200 and m.2 and 3200 ddr4 i want in it. Im not sure what to look for in motherboards is all. Do you think the one i put in it wil work well with the components?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Yes that MB will work with a Ryzen 3 1200, an M.2 nvme SSD and a 3200 Mhz RAM kit (as long as the RAM is listed as being compatible with that MB by the RAM Manufactuer oR Asrock).

It would be easiest to just choose a 3200 Mhz RAM kit listed here (to be 100% sure it runs at 3200 MHz on that MB):
Asrock Memory Compatibility for Ryzen 3 1200 (Summit Ridge):
https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/index.asp#Memory

MB Specifications:
https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV R4.0/index.asp#Specification