[SOLVED] What memory kit should I buy?

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
PC SPECS
GPU: GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650
RAM: 2X 8GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz (broken)
MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + 128 GB Kingston SSD
HDD: Seagate 1TB

I have a faulty memory kit so I am looking to buy a new one. I am looking to buy a new 16GB memory kit but I don't know which ones are any good, the one I am considering to buy is this one: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/459273/corsair-vengeance-lpx-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16/specificaties/

You reckon I should buy this memory kit or go for a better one?

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Well this was my RMA Kit and I don't think you can request a RMA over a RMA kit. Let's just say that my cat pissed near me computer and the memory modules were kind of covered in piss. And my Mhz from my kit went from 2933 to 2133Mhz and FPS went from 103 to 50 right after my cat pissed over my memory kit. This is the second time this happened, hence why I know.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I personally would stay away from Crucial Memory on a Ryzen system, I have seen way too many posts here about it not working at full speed.
If that G.Skill kit you had worked well then I would just get that same kit again.
And I would do whatever it takes to keep your cat away from your PC in the future.
If I had a cat that urinated on my PC twice, it would be living outdoors.

Also are you 100% sure your motherboard isn't damaged ???
If your cat urinated on the RAM while it was in the MB then the RAM slots and surrounding area almost certainly got sprayed as well.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
I personally would stay away from Crucial Memory on a Ryzen system, I have seen way too many posts here about it not working at full speed.
If that G.Skill kit you had worked well then I would just get that same kit again.
And I would do whatever it takes to keep your cat away from your PC in the future.
If I had a cat that urinated on my PC twice, it would be living outdoors.

Also are you 100% sure your motherboard isn't damaged ???
If your cat urinated on the RAM while it was in the MB then the RAM slots and surrounding area almost certainly got sprayed as well.
There was a little bit of piss on the MOBO, but only on the right hand side near the RAM, it wasn't near any crucial parts or whatever. It was near a system fan plugin which isn't used so the MOBO should be good. I was thinking of upgrading to 3200Mhz, don't know if it makes much of a difference but anyhow for some reason I don't really feal comfortable buying the same memory modules, so do you know any other 3200Mhz or 3000Mhz kits that work well with my system?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Are they in slots A2 and B2 as shown on page 6 here:
http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B79v2.1-GSE-LITE.pdf
Also what BIOS are you using ???
Bios version 7B79vA7 looks like the Best BIOS for use with your 2600x because it has AFGESA 1.0.0.6 which works best with 2000 series CPU's.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios
The newer BIOS versions with newer AGESA versions do Not work as well with 2000 series CPU's and can cause issues with getting RAM to run at their rated speed.

Also I hope you used some electronic contact cleaner to clean the Motherboard and the RAM slots to make 100% sure they do NOT have any cat urine on/in them before trying out the new RAM.
If not, you might have damaged the RAM, or RAM Slots or the Motherboard.

Last edited:

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
I am using that exact same BIOS version and yes my RAM is installed in Slot A2 and B2. I actually wiped it clean with just paper towels. No urine could of gone into Slot A2 and B2 since they were both occupied with my old RAM. And like I mentioned before in this thread, there wasn't any urine on the MOBO itself. Only on the right hand side corner.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Try setting them at lower a speed, like 2666 Mhz and see if it will boot.
If it does then change it to 2800 Mhz and save changes and see if that will boot.
Then do the same for 2866, 2933, and 3200 Mhz.
For some reason some people who have had trouble getting their RAM to OC properly got it to work if they increased the speed one step at a time.

You could also try with just one stick in sloat A2 and see if it will accept the XMP 3200 settings.
If it does then test the other stick in that slot and see if it also accepts the 3200 XMP settings.

You could also set the RAM to Manual instead of XMP and manually set the speed and timings that XMP would set and see if that boots.
For some motherboards using manual settings will work when XMP won't.
Which leads me to believe it is an issue with the BIOS on those boards.

Last edited:

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
If it does then change it to 2800 Mhz and save changes and see if that will boot.
For some reason some people who have had trouble getting their RAM to OC properly got it to work if they increased the speed one step at a time.

You could also try with just one stick in sloat A2 and see if it will accept the XMP 3200 settings.
If it does then test the other stick in that slot and see if it also accepts the 3200 XMP settings.

You could also set the RAM to Manual instead of XMP and manually set the speed and timings that XMP would set and see if that boots.
Will try all of the above and keep you updated.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017

Also, is it supposed to restart a few times after making changes into the BIOS?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Also, is it supposed to restart a few times after making changes into the BIOS?
That is certainly possible.
On my motherboard I only had that happen when I was tesing various CPU OC's and setting my 3200 Mhz RAM to 3400 Mhz and tightening up the timings.
My RAM actually runs fine at 3400 MHz But the re was no noticeable improvement over 3333 Mhz so that's what I use.
I had to clear the CMOS quite a few times when I was tesing my CPU and RAM OCs.
But now that I have them set at stable settings it boots right up without any issues.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
That is certainly possible.
On my motherboard I only had that happen when I was tesing various CPU OC's and setting my 3200 Mhz RAM to 3400 Mhz and tightening up the timings.
My RAM actually runs fine at 3400 MHz But the re was no noticeable improvement over 3333 Mhz so that's what I use.
I had to clear the CMOS quite a few times when I was tesing my CPU and RAM OCs.
But now that I have them set at stable settings it boots right up without any issues.
So it turns out I can not boot the PC at all with one of the sticks, tried it in both A2 and B2. The other memory stick works perfectly fine in A2, so I am guessing they delivered me a brand new faulty memory stick.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
PS
Be sure to reset the RAM to 2133 Mhz and save the settings before testing each stick in those slots.
For some reason not all motherboards can run RTAM at 3200 in all the slots.
Some can only run at 2933 Mhz in the secondary channel slots (A1/B1).

PSS
I have to go in a few minutes but I will check back in later tonight.

Last edited:

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
PS
Be sure to reset the RAM to 2133 Mhz and save the settings before testing each stick in those slots.

PSS
Nor the good or bad sticks booted properly when in A1/B1.

PS: 21:15PM here so I will be on for like 2 more hours.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
PS

PSS
You are probs at work or something rn but I submitted a MSI support ticket in the meanwhile. It is insane how much of a decrease in FPS I get with 2133Mhz, I go from 90-103FPS to 40-70FPS with the same game.

EDIT: I also notice that my memory kit is not on the MOBO QVL list but it is on the G.Skill QVL list...
EDIT 2: Is it worth buying another kit that is indeed on the MOBO QVL list> https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1236895/hyperx-predator-rgb-hx432c16pb3ak2-16.html
EDIT 3: Bought that pair^^ If this kit doesn't work it must be my MOBO.

Last edited: