What memory speed is safe?

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I need to buy RAM for my Kaby Lake build. I always used Corsair Vengeance DDR3.

I have not selected my motherboard yet, but likely will have Asus Prime or ROG Hero. Prime supports up to 3866 MHz (OC) Hero- 4133+ MHz (OC).

I am not a gamer, I do audio production, but I want to get the best performance out of my rig. What speed of memory should I get? I understand that to overclock the memory, I would have to enable XMP profile, right? That is all. On one of my builds with DDR3 (G-Skills)- I bought 1866MHz memory and it would not boot with XMP profile- I had to drop it to 1600 MHz and this is what I use.

Is there any advantage in getting higher memory speeds? What is the risk? What is the chance it will be acting out? What is the most safe, popular, tested configuration?

I am planning on getting 4 16GB sticks (or may be 2 now and 2 later) like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236094

What speed should I buy?

Thank you.

MustardTiger2898

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017

for your mobo i would get the ROG hero . get 2800 or 3000 mhz for your ram. their can be a slight and a big advantage to getting higher speed RAM depending on how high the mhz is. I would still use corsiar vengeance. make sure you get the ram your mobo supports, if its ddr4 get ddr4.

Astralv

Distinguished
Looks like the highest I can get at 16 Gb per stick is CORSAIR Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Memory. This is the highest it can get. Is it risky, or should I go with DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)? There must be a reason why 3200 is highest they dare to O.C. it? I am not that brave, and if it can be unstable, I better stay lower. But then again- if it says- it can do it...? I don't want it to struggle and strain. Did anybody run 3200 memory?
Thank you.

MustardTiger2898

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017

My memory is 3200. It is not risky to go that high. It should be stable. It should work fine.

Astralv

Distinguished
I got 3000 and when XMP profile is enabled, it shows to run at 3180. Is it safe to run it higher than specs? Also it overclocks my CPU when XMP profile enabled- I wanted to only overclock the memory. So I disabled XMP and now it is at 2100... Any suggestions?

MustardTiger2898

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017

I wouldn't run it higher unless you have RAM fan.But it should be ok to OC your RAM to about 2500 but if you start to see performance issues then drop it back down. Corsair has a fan for their RAM and i think other companies do. What CPU cooler do you have?

Astralv

Distinguished

The CPU Cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212 Led. I had good temperature for CPU when it was at 4380 MHz (Stock 4200MHz). The memory supposed to go up to 3000. Somewhere I read that it should not be under-clocked as it would work in half of its potential.

MustardTiger2898

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017

is it the hyper 212 evo?

Astralv

Distinguished

It is not Evo, it is LED- similar with slight installation differences.

I don't know how to change settings of XMP profile. My options are Auto, XMP and manual, but I don't want to mass with manual. It is weird. I used IO Tweaker and it ran test and chouse "best" settings which made my processor 4380 and memory 3100 or something like that. I had no issues- the system was stable with no loads- just internet and e-mail. Music applications are very CPU demanding when producing and processing sound. You can hear some synths crashing from overload- but I don't have anything installed yet to test. My concern is that I leave this computer on without sleep for up to 48 hours and it can overheat- I had random restarts on my Ivy Bridge system with stock CPU cooler. But this system without load CPU temperature was 30C-33C while overclocked. But I don't need to overclock CPU. Just want memory to run at 3000. So if I use IO Tweaker (Option in BIOS), it runs test and overclocks both CPU and memory. The Asus guy says- in order to increase memory it needs to increase CPU frequency. So I updated BIOS and lost those settings that it created for me. So now- when I select XMP profile, it lists memory to be 3000, but even with it enabled, it still shows that it runs at 2100. I don't know.