Question What Motherboard should I get with these parts?

Feb 3, 2023
4080 FE
32gb DDR5 6000 CL36 memory
MSI PRO z790P WIFI (most likely died because of failed BIOS update)

Please help me figure something out for this. The system will not boot anymore so I guess I need a new motherboard.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
With that chipset and CPU you should not have required a BIOS update to boot. Did this system ever get to boot or operate properly?

What happened during the update you were attempting?

Also, what is the make and model of your power supply?

edit- It appears that there is a BIOS flash feature with this motherboard that will allow you to reload proper version.
Have you tried to clear CMOS yet?

Feb 3, 2023
With that chipset and CPU you should not have required a BIOS update to boot. Did this system ever get to boot or operate properly?

What happened during the update you were attempting?

Also, what is the make and model of your power supply?

The BIOS light stopped flashing and just glowed still so I figured it was done. I waited around 30minutes. Then I tried to boot the pc and nothing.

There is no way it bricked anything else in the pc right?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The BIOS light stopped flashing and just glowed still so I figured it was done. I waited around 30minutes. Then I tried to boot the pc and nothing.

There is no way it bricked anything else in the pc right?

A failed BIOS update isn't going to do anything but "damage" a motherboard's ability to boot. Unless there is more going on that we/you don't know about, the rest of the system should be fine.

I do ask again...power supply type/output?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Considering the cost of this motherboard, I think I would do some reading and perhaps try and search out a video of the proper way to use that Flash BIOS feature, see if it will take. Might even be worthwhile to see if they have tech support to assist you. IMO $200+ motherboard is worth trying to salvage.

Reactions: Why_Me

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I can appreciate that. I have never had to contact them in spite of using MSI boards a great deal, but have you considered trying to call tech support? Does the retail location you purchased from offer any manner of support?
Even otherwise, are there any shops near you that might offer BIOS flashing? For instance MicroCenter offers said for ~$30 I have heard (never used them myself). IMO Geek Squad would be too expensive and just get another motherboard.

I still am not clear whether you ever have seen this system post? We can assume a bad BIOS flash if it did previously, but if it never booted in the first place it could be something else entirely.

I have saved a one minute 55 second video from MSI website on how to use M Flash to update BIOS.

It did not use a rename and does not require a CPU.

I guess M Flash does NOT use the "flash BIOS" button.

A guy named "Mike Unboxing" has an 8 minute video on youtube on using the flash bios button on an MSI Tomahawk B550, also without CPU.

Not at all sure either will help you.

Reactions: Why_Me and punkncat

septune

Prominent
Dec 17, 2022
I would get something with better power phasing for that CPU - you'd want a board with 16-1-2 minimum, but preferably a 20 phase one. Gigabyte boards tend to have the best power phasing for the price, but MSI/RoG Strix also have some good choices at higher price points . Optimal power phasing is what you should be looking for a top end cpu, hands down. The -P denotation on MSI and Asus boards means their lowest spec boards and that includes phasing - I believe they're 14-1-1; they aren't intended for i9s.

Reactions: Why_Me
Feb 3, 2023
I have saved a one minute 55 second video from MSI website on how to use M Flash to update BIOS.

It did not use a rename and does not require a CPU.

I guess M Flash does NOT use the "flash BIOS" button.

A guy named "Mike Unboxing" has an 8 minute video on youtube on using the flash bios button on an MSI Tomahawk B550, also without CPU.

Not at all sure either will help you.

The mobo is dead. I used that same technique many times. Atleast 7. The update never went through, waited over an hour for a 10 minute update.

Feb 3, 2023
I can appreciate that. I have never had to contact them in spite of using MSI boards a great deal, but have you considered trying to call tech support? Does the retail location you purchased from offer any manner of support?
Even otherwise, are there any shops near you that might offer BIOS flashing? For instance MicroCenter offers said for ~$30 I have heard (never used them myself). IMO Geek Squad would be too expensive and just get another motherboard.

I still am not clear whether you ever have seen this system post? We can assume a bad BIOS flash if it did previously, but if it never booted in the first place it could be something else entirely.

Unfortunately I am not from the US or Canada so MicroCenter is a no go for me. I have tried everythign there is to try and save it. Nothing worked. Better luck next time I guess.

I would get something with better power phasing for that CPU - you'd want a board with 16-1-2 minimum, but preferably a 20 phase one. Gigabyte boards tend to have the best power phasing for the price, but MSI/RoG Strix also have some good choices at higher price points . Optimal power phasing is what you should be looking for a top end cpu, hands down. The -P denotation on MSI and Asus boards means their lowest spec boards and that includes phasing - I believe they're 14-1-1; they aren't intended for i9s.
This ^^