Question What part of my pc is causing my computer to crash, how to diagnose and solve?

Jun 12, 2020
Recently my PC is having issues with crashing stutters and everything with no notes or bsod. I dont know what is the problem exactly and I would appreciate some guidance on this issue. Is it the GPU or anything i'm out of ideas. This happens almost to all games I play and I cant really tell if it hardware or software issues.

Recently my PC is having issues with crashing stutters and everything with no notes or bsod. I dont know what is the problem exactly and I would appreciate some guidance on this issue. Is it the GPU or anything i'm out of ideas. This happens almost to all games I play and I cant really tell if it hardware or software issues.
Did the issue start occurring after you did something, like Windows update or driver update, or an overclock? Regardless, use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove your currently installed graphics card drivers, then install the latest version from official Nvidia/AMD website.

Please list your full system specs.

Jun 12, 2020
Its.... a complicated one, so i actually reinstalled bio, windows reset and everything due to a different problem. Not that long ago my computer crashed with no warning, didn't matter the game it would repeat over and over again. So doing that fixed it and the crashing stopped. Now (total of 3 problems) problem 1 was fixed, however issue 2 arrived. Issue 2 started minor stuttering while playing games or just doing anything, i downgraded my gpu and bio just a little bit from the most up to date drivers and it seems to persist. I than do a clean boot and now this is my new situation. First screen goes black with sounds still going I can use discord for a sec even though my screen closed and than my computer goes unresponsive, only ambience sounds continoiusly plays until i restart my computer

Jun 12, 2020
Did the issue start occurring after you did something, like Windows update or driver update, or an overclock? Regardless, use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove your currently installed graphics card drivers, then install the latest version from official Nvidia/AMD website.

Please list your full system specs.
Ryzen 5 1500x
AMD rx580
24 gig of ram
CORSAIR HX Series, HX1200, 1200 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply
Tomahawk b350
860 evo ssd for windows and HDD is 6tb WD

Its.... a complicated one, so i actually reinstalled bio, windows reset and everything due to a different problem. Not that long ago my computer crashed with no warning, didn't matter the game it would repeat over and over again. So doing that fixed it and the crashing stopped. Now (total of 3 problems) problem 1 was fixed, however issue 2 arrived. Issue 2 started minor stuttering while playing games or just doing anything, i downgraded my gpu and bio just a little bit from the most up to date drivers and it seems to persist. I than do a clean boot and now this is my new situation. First screen goes black with sounds still going I can use discord for a sec even though my screen closed and than my computer goes unresponsive, only ambience sounds continoiusly plays until i restart my computer
Did you try doing what I have mentioned in the previous reply? Also, how are you getting a total of 24 GB RAM? This must be through either 2 or 3 sticks? Run memtest64 to check for any RAM problems.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
No i have 4 sticks, 2x8 Gskill and 2x5 hyper X and yes DDU was done
Was that RAM working well together before? Are they both the same clock speeds? Are you OCing it past 2144?
I'd suggest just using the 2 8Gb sticks and see what happens. Ryzen is known to be finicky with 4 sticks. I have personally had issues trying to utilize 2x4 + 2x8 sticks of Ripjaws 3200 on the same system.

Jun 12, 2020
Was that RAM working well together before? Are they both the same clock speeds? Are you OCing it past 2144?
I'd suggest just using the 2 8Gb sticks and see what happens. Ryzen is known to be finicky with 4 sticks. I have personally had issues trying to utilize 2x4 + 2x8 sticks of Ripjaws 3200 on the same system.
Yes! the ram worked great before, mainly got them for star citizen at the time and ran like a champ!

It happened again
Okay, run the memtest64 with only the two 8GB sticks installed. If you get no errors, I think it's safe to say the problem is not your RAM. My next guess would be PSU. Even though you have a very high quality, overkill PSU, that still does not mean it cannot be defective. Plus, most of the issues you seem to be having do look PSU-related (random crashes, even the stuttering). If possible, try to use a different PSU to power your system and see if the crashes still happen. If this is not at all possible, I would suggest contacting Corsair for a replacement.

Jun 12, 2020
Okay, run the memtest64 with only the two 8GB sticks installed. If you get no errors, I think it's safe to say the problem is not your RAM. My next guess would be PSU. Even though you have a very high quality, overkill PSU, that still does not mean it cannot be defective. Plus, most of the issues you seem to be having do look PSU-related (random crashes, even the stuttering). If possible, try to use a different PSU to power your system and see if the crashes still happen. If this is not at all possible, I would suggest contacting Corsair for a replacement.
ill do the memtest 64 when i get back from work, and ive worried if it was my PSU. Even though i had random changes of different issues could it be still psu? They are all consistent until i change something in the software than its a new problem

ill do the memtest 64 when i get back from work, and ive worried if it was my PSU. Even though i had random changes of different issues could it be still psu? They are all consistent until i change something in the software than its a new problem
Yes, it still can be the PSU. Crashes like these can often be caused by a failing PSU or faulty memory, and less often by motherboard and CPU. But this might also be a dying storage drive. Try running a disk health check on your storage drives, see if there's any issues there as well.

Jun 12, 2020
i
Yes, it still can be the PSU. Crashes like these can often be caused by a failing PSU or faulty memory, and less often by motherboard and CPU. But this might also be a dying storage drive. Try running a disk health check on your storage drives, see if there's any issues there as well.
I replaced the HDD and the SDD recently (roughly within 1 month ago) so there shouldnt be a issue that persist, however i did copy windows over to my new ssd and the 1st issue happened with my old ssd and HDD

Jun 12, 2020
unknown.png

i

I replaced the HDD and the SDD recently (roughly within 1 month ago) so there shouldnt be a issue that persist, however i did copy windows over to my new ssd and the 1st issue happened with my old ssd and HDD
You should try reinstalling Windows then, but from the error shown at the time of crash, it means that the PC shutdown unexpectedly, which I think is more likely to be hardware-related, since software-caused crashes would have at least some reason listed in the Event Viewer. Still, reinstalling Windows might be a way to fix this issue, since a bad Windows install can cause all types of trouble. But like I said, this issue seems to be hardware-related, and often these types of crashes are due to low quality PSU's or defective ones. Yours is not low quality, so it's probably defective(if it is the problem).

Jun 12, 2020
You should try reinstalling Windows then, but from the error shown at the time of crash, it means that the PC shutdown unexpectedly, which I think is more likely to be hardware-related, since software-caused crashes would have at least some reason listed in the Event Viewer. Still, reinstalling Windows might be a way to fix this issue, since a bad Windows install can cause all types of trouble. But like I said, this issue seems to be hardware-related, and often these types of crashes are due to low quality PSU's or defective ones. Yours is not low quality, so it's probably defective(if it is the problem).
Breaking News taking out my 2x8 ram cards seem to stop the random spazzing out, however the sad news is problem 2 is back, where my computer will randomly crash. First screen then audio in a few minutes.

Jun 12, 2020
Had another crash while playing and it seemed intresting it seems like my game fully closed (i logged out) my screen went dark, HOWEVER discord was working and so was my P2T. any big brain advice?

Had another crash while playing and it seemed intresting it seems like my game fully closed (i logged out) my screen went dark, HOWEVER discord was working and so was my P2T. any big brain advice?
That sounds like the GPU just stopped sending a signal to the monitor after the game closed, but everything else was working. Do you have/can you borrow a GPU to test in your system, see if that resolves the issue?

Jun 12, 2020
That sounds like the GPU just stopped sending a signal to the monitor after the game closed, but everything else was working. Do you have/can you borrow a GPU to test in your system, see if that resolves the issue?
Not sure if it mattered or my poor english wording, but my game crashed not closed willingly and it happened due to the after the black out screen. Also sadly no i don't any alternatives?

Not sure if it mattered or my poor english wording, but my game crashed not closed willingly and it happened due to the after the black out screen. Also sadly no i don't any alternatives?
It's going to be too hard to determine which part of your PC is the problem without having other parts to swap out with and test. I think it's best if you take it to a PC hardware store and let them determine the problem, because they will have the parts to test out with, and determine which part is faulty. Even after all the information you have given, we have still not been able to rule out PSU, GPU, CPU, motherboard or storage drives. All we were able to rule out was RAM, and even that isn't a 100% guarantee. I think it would be better to let a professional handle this.

Jun 12, 2020
It's going to be too hard to determine which part of your PC is the problem without having other parts to swap out with and test. I think it's best if you take it to a PC hardware store and let them determine the problem, because they will have the parts to test out with, and determine which part is faulty. Even after all the information you have given, we have still not been able to rule out PSU, GPU, CPU, motherboard or storage drives. All we were able to rule out was RAM, and even that isn't a 100% guarantee. I think it would be better to let a professional handle this.
Hey so i swapped out a PSU, changed drives again, and i was temp monitoring to make sure it wasn't over heating. The only thing i haven't tried is changing out graphics card and reinstalling windows. I want to also note this computer idles over 10 hrs and haven't crash once. Hopefully if you haven't given up this will leave some clues.

Hey so i swapped out a PSU, changed drives again, and i was temp monitoring to make sure it wasn't over heating. The only thing i haven't tried is changing out graphics card and reinstalling windows. I want to also note this computer idles over 10 hrs and haven't crash once. Hopefully if you haven't given up this will leave some clues.
Are the crashes still happening when you put a load on the system?