[SOLVED] What processor do I need to get? Laptop

Jul 15, 2020
I asked also this on reddit but more opinions are always welcome, sorry if it causes any inconvenience
I want to buy a new laptop later this month, as my old 7th gen is lacking in heavy tasks right now. Right now there are different options in the market so I don’t know which processor is the ideal for my tasks. I also want it to be future-proof for 3 years.

I am aware that Ryzen (laptop) is the best option but for my gaming needs I a 2060 might lack in the near future with its 6gb of VRAM. So sadly intel is the option.
Also desktop isn’t an option
My current budget is enough to get a computer with the 8-core I7-10875h, but I don’t know if it will be more than enough or if I need something more powerful like an i9-10980hk, which the price difference is minimum $300.
Also I have seen models with Ryzen desktop processors like this model, are they worth getting?

This is what the computer will used for in order of importance:
-Gaming (simulators )
-Game development (programming, shader compiling (cpu intensive), texturing, 3D modeling, exporting )
-Solidworks
-Studying

So, which processor might be the best way to go to satisfy my needs?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
You'll be fine with the i7 in my opinion. Can either save the extra cost or throw the extra funding towards more ram or a better video card (or more/better SSDs). I think those have a more recognisable effect on rendering speed.
Jun 30, 2020
I think the question that need to be answer is can you afford it, for sure i9-10980 will give you better rendering performance but if is over your budget, i7-10875 will do just fine.

And I think overall Ryzen procssors at the same price point give you better overall rendering performance.

Reactions: AHAFlier
Jul 15, 2020
I think the question that need to be answer is can you afford it, for sure i9-10980 will give you better rendering performance but if is over your budget, i7-10875 will do just fine.

And I think overall Ryzen procssors at the same price point give you better overall rendering performance.
Thanks for your answer
Yes, it is over my budget at the moment but I don’t know if the performance Increases in The i9 are worth spending the extra bucks or if I should stick with the i7

Jun 30, 2020
Thanks for your answer
Yes, it is over my budget at the moment but I don’t know if the performance Increases in The i9 are worth spending the extra bucks or if I should stick with the i7

I think that unless you're going to be using it professionally or you really really really want the extra performance. I don't think it's going to be that noticeable and might just be better off with the i7 in my opinion.

Reactions: AHAFlier
Jul 15, 2020
I think that unless you're going to be using it professionally or you really really really want the extra performance. I don't think it's going to be that noticeable and might just be better off with the i7 in my opinion.
The most professional thing I will do is rendering, for that the i7 is good? Or I really need the i9?

Jun 30, 2020
You'll be fine with the i7 in my opinion. Can either save the extra cost or throw the extra funding towards more ram or a better video card (or more/better SSDs). I think those have a more recognisable effect on rendering speed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS