Gaming.time

Commendable
Jul 14, 2022
TLDR: My prebuilt came with a 500W PSU that is insufficient for my GPU/CPU, what 650W PSU's can I get that work with my motherboard and case?

My prebuilt specs: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-by-hp-obelisk-desktop-875-0035qe

Longer context:

I was having many puzzling problems with my RTX 2080/i7 8700 prebuilt desktop. The frames were dropping so quickly into playing that I figured my ~5 year old computer's GPU and CPU were just too old to perform as they should. But I was stunned when people I spoke with were playing games on high with just as old 1080ti's my PC struggled to play at medium settings. After doing a benchmark (that didn't take long enough for the throttling issues that happen when gaming to occur), I was stunned to see my computer was about as good as many 30/40 series computers out there. I realized stuff like my PSU and stock cooler are insufficient and I'm looking to upgrade these parts now instead of a new PC.

Gaming.time

Commendable
Jul 14, 2022
you will need to verify that this system can even use a retail power supply.

many HP systems use proprietary connections to motherboard and/or GPU.
and may use a custom sized OEM unit where a retail unit will not fit inside the case at all.
Thanks John

So it just boils down to sizing and id have to physically measure the space in my case compared to whatever PSU I wish to buy?

Is there anything else than size that might make a PSU I want to buy incompatible?

Gaming.time

Commendable
Jul 14, 2022
you'd have to at least make sure that this motherboard uses a regular 24pin connection and not HP OEM proprietary cables.
I went through looking for the motherboard, the model number is L23867-001 and theres information about it here

https://www.amazon.com/HP-OBELISK-875-0014-MOTHERBOARD-L23867-001/dp/B0851G7Z72

Unfortunately I have 0 idea what any of the information means.

Does something indicate if its proprietary or not, and if I can upgrade my PSU, what information do I need to pay attention to that lets me know whats compatible or not?