chrwel

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
I am currently using a 300W generic PSU in my computer. I am having some issues with my 6600gt which wont run properly.

What would you guys recommend for the following configuration.

3.0 P4
2x 256 RAM
160 HD
DVD RW
CD
6600gt

Thanks

Christian

430 should be enough. If you find a good deal on a 500, you could go that way, this way you will be ready for future upgrades.

You may also want to look at a Sparkle or Fortron powersupply.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

chrwel

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
Thanks for all the advise guys, I ended up buying a Truepower 430. Hopefully this will do magic to my 6600gt.

The PSU that was in the gateway computer was a Hipro 300W, good ? Bad?

Take care

Christian W

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Going with a bigger power supply doesn't mean you're adding load, so where is this extra heat comming from?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

silverwizard

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
A transformer, (IC or not) produces heat based on potential. A tiny (low potential) transformer (IC or NOT), produces very little heat. A larger (higher potential) transformer (IC or NOT) produces more heat... even when the potential is not utilized... as long as ANY electricity is flowing into the device the coils or circuits are active and create heat. Naturally, the more this potential is used, the more heat is produced. Want a practical example? Plug in a transformer (power supply) that runs/charges a device. Even without a load of ANY kind, there will be heat in this transformer. Question is... (and I do know the answer)... Why?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by silverwizard on 10/29/04 07:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can offset the heavier wire by making it longer.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I nearly forgot to make a recommendation! The Fortron Source/Sparkle Power "350W" is good for a bit over 400W output and cost around $40, making it the best value. Personally I like to go a little overboard, so the Fortron Source/Sparkle Power 400W (with an actual output around 460W) would be my first choice. But their 530W unit only cost a few dollars more than the 400W, outputs over 600W, is way more than you need, and the small price difference tempts me to go way overboard in the recommendation!

FSP350>Antec TP380
FSP400>Antec TP430
FSP530>Antec TP550

So Fortron Source/Sparkle Power are always a better value than Antec.