What radiator do I need for my custom PC case?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woox

Honorable
May 16, 2012
So I am working on a custom wooden case mod, is pretty much a rectangle box. I am planning to watercool this rig and I need help on the airflow design:

vkaw3.png

I want to use UV green fans and currently own 3 of these:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_221&products_id=24962

Specs about my case/build:
i5 2500k
Radeon HD 7950
ADATA 16gb RAM
A few HDD's
650watt PSU modular
I own this pump: http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd-cpx1-12v_pump.html

Case:
7x7x38 (inches)
Front window (long side of rectangle) plexi
Material: MDF Wood

I dont intend on OCing like crazy, only slightly.

My question is what kind of radiator do I need for my setup? I want to use 2x120 (fits best), but will that run too hot (was planning single loop)? Only the GPU and CPU will be watercooled

What thickness of tubes should I use?

How does my airflow look in the case? I originally wanted to use a 2x120mm to push air out of case via radiator, and have 1 fan to push air INTO case.

Thats the RX360 I was referring to, good rads, I have a 240 and it handled my Cpu only loop at 4.5GHz fine, as I said though, they are appx 60mm thick before you add 50mm of fan so would probably need to go down the far end so as not to interfere with other components,
but yes, that would handle your gear at modest overclocking, I'd want to add another rad for more serious attempts though,
at which point an external radbox would be a great addition, it could even double as a footrest :)
Moto

woox

Honorable
May 16, 2012
So got my mobo in today, after playing around I found it I could actually mount the PSU above the mobo, and it works pretty well...for demonstration I have the PSU rested on the stock cooler, but I intend to mount it to the top wall.

kEdWI.jpg

uVyTC.jpg

DzxD1.jpg

Its quite a snug fit. The top will be intake fan for PSU.

I am worred about the RAM now, should I throw a waterblock on it too? I dont want my RAM to overheat or anything.

Flip the Psu, I would rather it was taking air from on top of the Mobo and helping to keep flow going over that, but yes, good placement and use of space there man, see how its easier once you have the bits to hand? :p
Can you see how the mobo fits diagonally for me? just as a wonder...
you would have to put it down the other end though, mobo low at front, and raised at the rear, I think the Gfx card might be ok for clearance as well, but can't visualise it without measurements as its mentally reversing and inverting it, 7am here and brain is fried hehe
just thinking that that may negate the overspill of the mobo and contain it all within the 7x7 area we have to play in, plus it would be a nice view of the mobo through the acrylic once done (you can use below/behind it to hide a few cables too :p)
Ram cooling no, the restriction is not worth the 'benefits' maybe in the future you could do a separate loop for chipset block and ram though, but it would mostly be a visual thing rather than an actual performance boost
Moto

woox

Honorable
May 16, 2012
The PSU fan should be facing the mobo? Wouldn't it be better for cooling the PSU if it was facing outward (towards top of the case)?

I tried the mobo diagonal, and it does not fit the 7x7 box, it does however take less than 9inches in width...but I cant then find a reasonable spot to place the PSU...I'll play with it more and get you pics if you want.

No worries on the diagonal idea, just a possibility and you should always try to explore them hehe
yes, in my opinion the Psu fan should be facing the mobo as it will take heat from there and push it out the chosen side, every little bit of cooling is going to help in this build
if the Psu isn't on top of the mobo then some way of having it exhaust out of the rear but as you say its a bit of experimenting to find the 'best' spot for it, remember you can always get extensions for cables if needed,
have fun and post back some pics when you find an idea that fits, I do think that we're going to need to extend the front or rear section a bit though
Moto

woox

Honorable
May 16, 2012
I am concerned at this point about the airflow...it would seem that I would need fans inside the case to help guide the direction of airflow from RIGHT to LEFT (to the radiators).

woox

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Actually it may be worth trying to isolate the fans towards the front with plexiglass (creating a sort of a tunnel).

So the rad would still be in the case, but the exhaust would be tunneled to the front of the case via plexi :)

By the time you are set up, the air going into the case isn't going to be hot, maybe 1-2'c difference between that air and ambient at the most
you are pulling fresh cold in from the rear of the desk, the air that gets through the rads not heated massively and you can always filter the intake side if you want to prevent a dust storm,
dust unfortunately is a given where fans and electricity are present, as long as the room itself is relatively clean and dust-free, the Pc will be
We have three cats in our house, and I don't get masses of cat fur in the Pc despite having all those intake fans,
Moto

woox

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Alright big update...got my parts in, did the first setup of the wood....

album images here:
http://imgur.com/a/0OfX3

I decided to split the case internally in 2 seperated by a plexiglass in middle.

The right side will have mobo and compnents

The left side will have radiator.

This is mainly because of the airflow problems and fan placements.

The rightside will have 1/2 intake fans and the PSU will be the exhaust, which will blow out to the left side of the case where radiators are blowing out (see pics)..

Just wanted your feedback on this setup/idea (didnt want to blow air in case from rads).