What RAM should I buy to upgrade my 8GB RAM?

cubydrone

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Hello all, I'm very new and inexperienced in building computers so I've turned to you guys for help.

I have a custom built PC (not built by me) with 8 gigs of DDR4 RAM but I'm looking to upgrade to 16GB with preferably a 2x4 kit. My specs are:
Motherboard - MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
RAM - G.Skill 8GB DDR4-2133 1066MHz Dual Channel 2x4GB (F4-24000C15-4GVR)

As mentioned above I am really new to computer building and just want more RAM to allocate to some Java programs :p please do help me :D

cubydrone

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

Ah, in that case could you suggest an affordable yet well-performing kit of 16GB RAM? I wouldn't mind spending a little bit extra to get more performance :) Thank you very much!

Your MB supports up to 3600MHz RAM however it also depends on the CPU if OC RAM will be fully supported. Check the CPU specs for what is officially supported. Here is the MB QVL of RAM kits that have been tested from which you should choose the size and frequency you want.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-KRAIT-GAMING.html#support-mem

Corsair and GSKill are excellent quality.

If you choose OC RAM then you may have to Tweak your Bios DRAM Primary Timings and voltage as they may default to a lower SPD.

Tech_Daddy

Prominent
May 2, 2017
Your motherboard Supports DDR4-3600+(OC) Memory and you did not mentioned the Processor .So find out what is the maximum FSB ( Memory controller ) your processor can handle ( support ) and then buy memory equivalent to your CPU FSB.

If you will buy memory more than your CPU can handle then it will down-clocked to CPU FSB and you won't take the whole memory FSB advantage.

If you want to buy for future step stone then can buy maximum fsb memory that your motherboard handle.In this case if in future you decide to switch the processor with more fsb support then it will benefit you.

NOTE:-The CPU can only access the memory at the speed it was designed to do so at. The memory can only be access as quickly as it was designed. If you use faster memory then the CPU supports the speed is limited by the CPU. You gain nothing by putting memory faster then can be supported by the motherboard, in fact, past a certain point the memory might not even result in a POST.

It makes no difference. If the RAM run as a faster frequency then supported by the CPU it will be ran at the frequency that is supported. The simple fact is your unlikely to see a difference unless you double or triple the difference of difference memory. This means that 1600 mhz and 1800 mhz while in theory one is faster you really won't see a performance difference. You would only see a difference in benchmarking which only provides a general overview of your potential performance.