[SOLVED] What ram should i upgrade to get better gaming performance?

spere43

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
My current set up is a Asus Sabertooth 990fx with an AMD fx 6300 and currently i got 8gb (2 x 4gb) of Kingston Hyper x DDR3 1333mhz ram. My ram is pretty slow and i'm looking to upgrade it. What would be some decent ram to put in it for gaming?

Edit:
My full pc in full spec:
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx
Cpu: AMD FX 6300 Black Edition
Gpu: Dual Fan gtx 560ti 1gb vram from Windforce ( on of the fans broke, so i jerry rigged a cpu cooler to it.)
Ram: 8gb(2 x 4gb) Kingston Hyper x DDR3 1333mhz
Psu: Corsair GS700
HDD: 2 500gb seagate hardrives. (I know i should put an SSD in it.)
Peripherals:
AOC 2216Vw monitor (75hz)
Dlink wifi adapter
Cooler Master devastor 3 keyboard + mouse

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What games do you play? Part of the answer may be the required hardware specs for the games.

The answer also depends on the motherboard and what RAM and RAM configurations are supported.

Overclocking may be a way to increase performance.

However, slow performance may be caused by other issues.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor tools to observe what your system is doing.

First while not gaming and then while gaming.

Leave the tool window open but slide to one side while you play.

spere43

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
I don't think the RAM is the issue in this case - and I don't think getting faster RAM will necessarily help.

But without knowing your monitor's resolution, refresh rate, and what video card you're using, it's very hard to say.

My monitor is a AOC 2216Vw but i did some slight monitor overclocking and set it to 75hz. Also it is a 1050p monitor. I use a dual fan gtx 560ti from gigabyte that has like 1gb of vram (I use a dvi to vga adapter on it)

spere43

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
What games do you play? Part of the answer may be the required hardware specs for the games.

The answer also depends on the motherboard and what RAM and RAM configurations are supported.

Overclocking may be a way to increase performance.

However, slow performance may be caused by other issues.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor tools to observe what your system is doing.

First while not gaming and then while gaming.

Leave the tool window open but slide to one side while you play.

The games i that i play on that pc are fortnite and Call of Duty black ops 3. I am looking to play some more modern games but my gaming pc is getting very old.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This: "my gaming pc is getting very old".

Unfortunately in order to play the games you want to play and have some acceptable level of performance may mean a new computer. A computer that allows you to enjoy playing and even sometimes win does require newer hardware.

Look at the hardware requirements for Fortnite, etc.. Generally software lists the requirements in some minimum, recommended, or best format. You do not want minimum and you do want as much best as you can afford.

If you can identify an existing bottleneck and determine, for example, that a new GPU or more RAM will improve gaming then that may be the way to go.

There may well be some viable upgrades (compatible hardware within budget) and/or configuration changes that may help improve the pc's performance to some extent. Overall, those efforts can only be successful to a certain point. There will always be some bottleneck that limits performance.

Overall, buying a new system is most likely the choice that will need to be made versus spending money on hardware upgrades that will still not meet the full system requirements for any given more modern game.

Take a look at the Tom's Gaming PC recommendations and go from there.

You will need to decide the trade-offs that must be made with respect to games, performance, and budget. Think long term.....

Reactions: King_V

spere43

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
This: "my gaming pc is getting very old".

Unfortunately in order to play the games you want to play and have some acceptable level of performance may mean a new computer. A computer that allows you to enjoy playing and even sometimes win does require newer hardware.

Look at the hardware requirements for Fortnite, etc.. Generally software lists the requirements in some minimum, recommended, or best format. You do not want minimum and you do want as much best as you can afford.

If you can identify an existing bottleneck and determine, for example, that a new GPU or more RAM will improve gaming then that may be the way to go.

There may well be some viable upgrades (compatible hardware within budget) and/or configuration changes that may help improve the pc's performance to some extent. Overall, those efforts can only be successful to a certain point. There will always be some bottleneck that limits performance.

Overall, buying a new system is most likely the choice that will need to be made versus spending money on hardware upgrades that will still not meet the full system requirements for any given more modern game.

Take a look at the Tom's Gaming PC recommendations and go from there.

You will need to decide the trade-offs that must be made with respect to games, performance, and budget. Think long term.....

Ok thanks, i might sell the mobo off as it still can fetch up to around $200 au on sites like ebay.

popatim

Titan
Try setting your ram to 1866 manually. You have a decent chance that it would still work.
Set the bios to do a long test as well. If it makes it thru that at 1866 you probably are good to go.

As always, make backups first in case things go wrong, like the OS corrupting.