What router is best for gaming?

masterelmo

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
so i was thinking of getting a new router and i was thinking the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900. i just want to know if this is a good router and will it be good for gaming. if it isnt please tell me which router i should consider getting, anything under $200 please:)

A particular router will make very little difference for a game. A game needs very little bandwidth, they are designed to let people who do not have access to high speed internet play and pay money.

What a game does need is very little data loss and data delivery with consistent delays between the packets. If you run ethernet to the router most routers will perform about the same. If you run wireless there is no clear answer to that question. Games in general are extremely susceptible to poor wireless conditions. The router is only one part of that. you have the nic in the machine, the wall in the house and even your neighbors with their wireless. All these cause issues with wireless. Because it is almost unpredictable when or if you get wireless issues it is strongly recommended you do not even attempt to play games on wireless

It is almost impossible to recommend on router over another on wireless because your house and where you place things is going to make much more difference than some small difference in a router. Pretty much all in the same general category will work very similar.