What Ryzen APU should I get?

kone12

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
I currently have an A10-7890K APU and an EVGA GTX 1050ti SC with an Antec VP550F PSU. As the title says, what... should I get? I'm upgrading my current one and the other components like the RAM and MOBO, before I start upgrading my GPU (which will be my last upgrade).

Solution
Ryzen APUs (AKA Raven Ridge) haven't been released yet. Although if you have a discrete video card (as you do), getting an APU is pointless. I would wait for Intel Coffee Lake to come out in a week or two and compare your options then.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen APUs (AKA Raven Ridge) haven't been released yet. Although if you have a discrete video card (as you do), getting an APU is pointless. I would wait for Intel Coffee Lake to come out in a week or two and compare your options then.

Solution

The i3 8100 will perform very similarly to the i5 7500. Essentially, they are the same chip. I would take it hands down over any overclocked Ryzen 3 product to date. But for $170 you can get the 8350k that will be a 4 core/4 thread unlocked chip. It is essentially the 7600k for a very good price.

Good point, but I'm assuming the op is on a budget. If you are talking about that 8350K though, then you might as well look at the Ryzen 5 1400 or 1500x for near the same prices. Of course single threaded yes the intel is slightly better, but if games start going more multithreaded, that will matter less over time possibly.

Lol. Welcome to the club. Wait it out for a week or so since Intel's new coffee lake should be up next week, then add up the price of your upgrade. As you can see, a lot of decent options either out there or coming up soon.

I will say the thing I like about AMD and Ryzen is that AMD claims they'll support the am4 socket until 2020. If that's true, then theoretically you could start with that every level ryzen 1200, and in a couple of years drop in a new ryzen 2 or ryzen 3 6 core or 8 core with a bios update.

That of course hinges on if the motherboard manufacturers release bios updates. But it's a nice thought to have an upgrade path open like that.