Question What security apps work well together

dyklempner

Reputable
Oct 8, 2017
I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. It's a significant upgrade over my old one, and I'm trying to configure the security on it. My old one had McAfee and Identity Guard on it. I

've upgraded to a newer version of McAfee on the laptop. I've also installed NordVPN.

I am noticing these apps have significant overlap and sometimes interfere with each other.

Windows 11 with Windows 365 has quite a few security features like browser protection.

McAfee has not just antivirus software, but also malware and browser protection and a password bank.

NordVPN is not just a VPN but includes antivirus and anti-malware features that conflict with McAfee's.

Identity Guard has insurance against identity theft that none of these other programs include, but duplicates a number of other features.

Which combination of security apps would work best and live happily together? I am still within the trial period for some of these.

Thanks for your help!

--Diane

Windows Defender is fine as long as you don't browse suspicious websites, click on every link random emails send you, etc. If you want browser "protection", an adblocker like uBlock will do just fine. If you really want to go Spartan, use NoScript (but this has the annoyance that you have to disable it per site if the site is unusable).

If you want to use a VPN, just use the VPN feature. If you cannot without installing the other stuff, I suggest going to another VPN service.

I don't see how Identity Guard can help other than making it more obvious if you're on a phishing website, which you should only get if you're clicking on unsolicited links. Or you can just distrust everything you get from anyone.

Reactions: dyklempner

dyklempner

Reputable
Oct 8, 2017
Okay, thanks for the advice. I am ditching NordVPN; it interferes with a bunch of my other software. And Identity Guard; it's main feature is insurance against identity theft, which I have never needed to use. I'm keeping McAfee and I need to figure out the best way to configure it to live nicely together with Windows 365.

USAFRet

Titan
And Identity Guard; it's main feature is insurance against identity theft, which I have never needed to use.
And for anyone else reading this, be careful of what this "insurance" actually provides.

For instance, LifeLock. They state something along the lines of "If your information is compromised, we will spend up to 1 meeeliyun dollars!"
What that actually means is that they may some amount of money to fix their system. Not money to make you whole.