Question What should I do to upgrade my pc?

Jun 14, 2019
I have an 8gb ram stick that runs at 2666mhz but only is able to actually use 6.9 of that because the other 1.1gb is "hardware reserved", and I also wanted to buy a sata 3 ssd to help loading times into Rust. I was going to buy another 8gb ram stick to just have more for higher end games, I was going to go with a vengeance LPX 8gb stick at 3000mhz. Any tips or anything I should know before going through with the purchase of these two new additions?

Don't buy different RAM sticks expecting them to work together. It's best to buy a whole new kit, and you will need a motherboard capable of overclocking to run DDR4 RAM at 3000MHz. If you don't want to buy a whole new kit, then you can buy another stick exactly like the one you already have and it has a good chance of working together.

You will want to reinstall Windows on the SSD for best performance.

Reactions: WillJohnson
Jun 14, 2019
Don't buy different RAM sticks expecting them to work together. It's best to buy a whole new kit, and you will need a motherboard capable of overclocking to run DDR4 RAM at 3000MHz. If you don't want to buy a whole new kit, then you can buy another stick exactly like the one you already have and it has a good chance of working together.

You will want to reinstall Windows on the SSD for best performance.
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't see a reason why the motherboard I currently have wouldn't be able to handle 3000mhz, but how much of a difference would it make if I just bought two of the 3000mhz ddr4 ram sticks?

Thanks for the info, I wouldn't see a reason why the motherboard I currently have wouldn't be able to handle 3000mhz, but how much of a difference would it make if I just bought two of the 3000mhz ddr4 ram sticks?
Don't buy 2 of them, buy a kit with 2x8GB sticks. What are you system specs including motherboard? Only Z and X-series Intel motherbaords can run 3000MHz RAM, and AMD B and X series mobos can.

Jun 14, 2019
Don't buy 2 of them, buy a kit with 2x8GB sticks. What are you system specs including motherboard? Only Z and X-series Intel motherbaords can run 3000MHz RAM, and AMD B and X series mobos can.
I honestly have no clue of the exact specs, it was bought pre-built hence the need for upgrades, also don't know much about computers and where to look at the specs, hence why I came here
[edit] Would that be the processor, as I said, I don't have much knowledge with computers.

Jun 14, 2019
Prebuilts typically don't have overclocking motherboards, and DDR4 3000 is used with overclocking. You could use it with a non-overclocking motherboard, but it would only run at DDR4 2666.

Yes, the processor would tell us a little bit. Do this, install Speccy and screenshot the results and host the image on a third-party site such as imgur.com and share the image here.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
Won't let me upload the gyazo link unfortunately

Jun 14, 2019
OS
Windows 10 64-bit

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5
Raven Ridge 14nm Technology

RAM
7.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 332Mhz (20-19-19-43)

Motherboard
HP 8433 (AM4)

Graphics
HO 27o 91920x1080@60Hz
DELL SR2320L (1920x180@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (HP)
1024 ATI AMD 15DD Graphics (HP)
ForceWare version: 430.86
SLI Disabled
CrossFire Disabled

Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT02ACA100 (SATA)

Optical Drives
hp HLDS DVDRW GUD1N

Jun 14, 2019
Okay, looks like a B350 chipset motherboard. You can get 3000MHz and hope it works. Get two sticks in a kit together. You should run them in dual-channel and that will increase performance.

You could use a better GPU also. But first get your RAM in dual-channel.
Dual channel just meaning the ram in two separated pcie slots?

Dual channel just meaning the ram in two separated pcie slots?
Yes, but that is only part of dual-channel, the other is the logical settings in the motherboard BIOS. The motherboard will typically enable it automatically when the RAM sticks are compatible, but that's why it's recommended to get 2 sticks in a kit to make sure they are compatible.

1 stick runs in single-channel and cannot run in dual-channel.
2 sticks will run in dual-channel unless they are not compatible, then they can run in single-channel or not work at all.

AMD Ryzen is known to benefit from dual-channel and fast RAM.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
i actually have this pc it sucks with 8 gigs ram i upgraded to a rx590 8gig and 16gb corsair 3ghz ddr4 and i have a ryzen 5 and the ram works fine u can overclock it with ryzen master if u know what your doing i wont have this mobo much longer or cpu i legit loved this lil case and got a good deal why i bought it but its a good pc specially just getting started cause u can rip it apart and upgrade it i also added ssd for my games

The HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
It's honestly a hunk of garbage to be blunt.

Gaming Desktop 690-00xx is the series. To find out the model number, just enter your HP Serial number (S/N) in HP Warranty page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

Or the product number in google, you will be able to see the exact model number, and then find relevant memory upgrades. Some variants do no support more than 2400MHz, even if a faster works, it under-clocks auto to operable speed.

For memory upgrades, try crucial.com or memorystock.com