[SOLVED] what should i do with my clicking cpu?

Apr 29, 2020
hello

I have toshiba u500 laptop using t4200 cpu 4GB DDR2 ram

Its been about 2 weeks that my laptop is making a clicking noise which i think its comming from cpu because I can hear it even when laptop is sleeping and I think its not the HDD because I checked it with many apps and they didn't find any thing

what should i do now?

Solution
Hey there,

CPU's don't click like that, at least I've never heard of it happening. It's possible it's the CPU fan, or another fan. But, most likely, it is the HDD. Your system is a good few years old now, if it's the original HDD, then it's very likely. After years of use HDD begin to fail. The read/write head, has trouble locating data, and resets itself to the home position and tries to find the data again. The clicking I suspect is the read/write head repeatedly clicking back to home position. Best advice, regardless, would be to source a new HDD, and in the meantime try save any data you might need on to a USB.

The clicking sound, means the drive may fail at any time. So be wary of that.
Hey there,

CPU's don't click like that, at least I've never heard of it happening. It's possible it's the CPU fan, or another fan. But, most likely, it is the HDD. Your system is a good few years old now, if it's the original HDD, then it's very likely. After years of use HDD begin to fail. The read/write head, has trouble locating data, and resets itself to the home position and tries to find the data again. The clicking I suspect is the read/write head repeatedly clicking back to home position. Best advice, regardless, would be to source a new HDD, and in the meantime try save any data you might need on to a USB.

The clicking sound, means the drive may fail at any time. So be wary of that.

Solution