[SOLVED] What should I upgrade? (Max £400 budget)

EBarratt

Commendable
Dec 28, 2020
Hiya, I've had this computer for a couple years now and it works completely fine for what I need but I've been saving up and have decided it's time to start upgrading.

Motherboard – MSI A320 PRO-M2
Graphics Card – MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti AERO ITX 4G OCV1
Processor – AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 3500Mhz, Quad core
RAM – Team Group T-FORCE GAMING DDR4 8GB
Hard Drive – Seagate BarraCuda 1TB Internal Hard Drive HDD

I was thinking of upgrading my RAM to improve performance but I am honestly not sure, I have spent roughly £500 on this so far. I have been told an SSD might be worth looking into in order to improve boot speeds.

Solution
I would go SSD #1,
It makes things a lot faster for not that much money.
After that....your GPU/CPU and memory (to 16GB) can all be upgraded.
Your MB can take MUCH faster CPUS....like Ryzen 5 3600X which is good for gaming. Then you could upgrade your GPU to just about anything you want.
I second this... Except the cpu part. In £400 let's just say £50-60 for a 500 gig nvme SSD (is that accurate?) about £40 for 8 more gigs ram, same model. so that's 300 left.

I wouldn't really upgrade cpu because I doubt that board even supports cpu like 3600. Plus the 2200G isn't that weak. I would say wait for budget Nvidia ampere models and get something in the £250 range. Upgrade mobo and CPU once you have money. Something like a 5600...
I would go SSD #1,
Your MB can take MUCH faster CPUS....like Ryzen 5 3600X which is good for gaming. Then you could upgrade your GPU to just about anything you want.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
I would go SSD #1,
I second this... Except the cpu part. In £400 let's just say £50-60 for a 500 gig nvme SSD (is that accurate?) about £40 for 8 more gigs ram, same model. so that's 300 left.

I wouldn't really upgrade cpu because I doubt that board even supports cpu like 3600. Plus the 2200G isn't that weak. I would say wait for budget Nvidia ampere models and get something in the £250 range. Upgrade mobo and CPU once you have money. Something like a 5600 non X and B550 or cheap X570. Don't go for the A series it has a very short life

Solution
For the record....the board supports the 3600x.
Although I agree the 2200g isn't that weak.....especially for a 1050 Ti.
So I might upgrade the CPU last....but that would be depending on the GPU I decided to go with....and I totally forgot about the price limit. ;)
LOL yeah. The reason I suggested gpu first is there will be a higher performance uplift from a gpu upgrade than a CPU with that setup. Even a 1650S is like 80-100% faster than a 1050 Ti. Lower end cards do age very quickly.

EBarratt

Commendable
Dec 28, 2020
LOL yeah. The reason I suggested gpu first is there will be a higher performance uplift from a gpu upgrade than a CPU with that setup. Even a 1650S is like 80-100% faster than a 1050 Ti. Lower end cards do age very quickly.

What GPU would you recommend me upgrading to? I could probably add a little extra to that budget if needed by selling the current GPU off to a friend.

EBarratt

Commendable
Dec 28, 2020
RTX 3050 should be around that price, at most. It should perform. Similar or better thana. 2060 plus pcie 4 and ray tracing gen 2. If you're selling you can probably get a 3060 non ti

Alright, sorry for this but I would just like to check what is best for me to upgrade in order.

1. 1TB SSD (Would most likely need that much storage for my games)
  2. + 8GB TeamGroup RAM - Same as I have already
  3. GPU, 3050 or similar
  4. Motherboard (B550)
  5. CPU, 3300x or similar
I know this list doesn't fit into my budget but if I know what to upgrade at what time I can do it whenever i'm ready.

Alright, sorry for this but I would just like to check what is best for me to upgrade in order.

3. GPU, 3050 or similar
  4. RTX 3050
  5. Motherboard (B550)
  6. CPU, 3300x or similar
I know this list doesn't fit into my budget but if I know what to upgrade at what time I can do it whenever i'm ready.
List is good but 3300x ehhhhh. I'd say whenever you do upgrade do cpu+mobo and buy 5600 without the x. More future proof

Reactions: EBarratt

3. GPU, 3050 or similar
  4. Motherboard (B550)
  5. CPU, 3300x or similar
I like the order.
As far as the MB and CPU....being that's down the road a little bit...I'd wait and see what's available at that time.

Ryxen 2600, still a good cpu and will power upto a 1660 super fine at 1080p 60 htz.

Gtx 1650 super (budget related choice but way more powerful than your current 1050ti)

16 gb ddr ram (2x 8gb) - pointless trying to match with your current stick, better selling it and replacing from scratch.

240 - 512gb ssd and keep the majority of the games on your existing storage.

Easily doable when selling your current gpu, ram and cpu - they'll command a decent price imo, £150+ total.

Your board is fine for up to a ryzen 3600, don't see the point replacing it at all.

chrisanders466

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
SSD or NVME upgrade I'm not sure if you can get NVME on that board but it's great

if you can squeeze it in a ryzen 5 3600x or non x would be a great upgrade

once GPUs are more chill in the future I would say upgrade then even I am waiting on the supply to come back and prices to get close to rrp

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
that graphics card and SSD would be my pick, the 1050 isnt a great card, a GTX970 would do you well at a very reasonable price, less then £100 on ebay, another 100 for a decent size SSD, M.2 if you want fastest response out of things, then you can add a little RAM double up to 16GB with an extra stick, assuming its just got one already, or get a 16GB kit dual channel. you should see some nice gains