What should I upgrade?

1codekiller

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Hello, I want to get a performance increase, that is more than noticable but not too mean on my wallet. Getting a new CPU would mean a new motherboard. Getting a new GPU could cause a bottleneck. Getting a second gtx 970 means I have to buy a new power supply.

Current build:

- i5-4690k
- gtx 970
- asus z97 pro gamer
- 2x HyperX Fury black 8GB 1600Mhz (16gb in total)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
The current power supply is relatively low quality and not really suitable for high level graphics cards especially overclocking your CPU and GPU. You can't upgrade your RAM to DDR4, you would need a whole new motherboard and processor as well.

If your on a limited budget, I would recommend going for this Power Supply, its very affordable and offers great quality at a low price. It will handle large power drawing graphics cards and has enough power to overclock well.
What power supply do you currently have? If you don't already have an SSD, I highly suggest you get one. It will literally transform your general computing experience. If your really looking to upgrade for gaming, don't worry at all about your CPU. The i5 4690k is a powerhouse, especially when overclocked. It shouldn't really bottleneck any graphics card out there. Get a 1080 or 1080 ti, your processor won't bottleneck nothing.

1codekiller

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm currently rocking an old Corsair CX500 80+ bronze power supply.

I do already got a samsung evo 850 250gb SSD and it really blew my mind when I bought it a few years back.

Do you think I will need a new power supply with a gtx 1080? Also, which brand do you recommend?

Should I consider upgrading my RAM to DDR4?

The current power supply is relatively low quality and not really suitable for high level graphics cards especially overclocking your CPU and GPU. You can't upgrade your RAM to DDR4, you would need a whole new motherboard and processor as well.

If your on a limited budget, I would recommend going for this Power Supply, its very affordable and offers great quality at a low price. It will handle large power drawing graphics cards and has enough power to overclock well.

Solution