[SOLVED] What should I upgrade?

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
I don't think my PC specs are bad but for some reason I can't run games like Red Dead Redemption at a comfortable 60fps which doesn't seem correct to me.

-Specs-
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: 700W - Aerocool Integrator 80+ Cert Power Supply
Ram: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz DDR4 Memory - Black
MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170-Gaming K3 ATX Motherboard

Maybe overclocking could solve some issues? I was thinking about just selling it and putting money towards a whole new rig. Not sure how much I could sell the build for so that would also help.

Thanks

Solution
Ok, well there's a big difference between which cards I'd recommend for 1080p and which cards I'd recommend for 1440p, so it IS kind of necessary or desirable to know WHICH resolution you INTEND to game at in order to look at the right cards.

Most people don't have two monitors that are game worthy but are different resolutions, that they can choose from when gaming. If you do, that's great, and we can of course proceed with the idea that you'll be gaming at 1440p, but if not, then it's in your best interest to get a card that is going to be capable enough for the resolution you'll actually be using. If you don't actually HAVE a 1440p monitor and don't have plans to GET one anytime soon, then a card that can do Ultra 1080p is a lot...
Throw that power supply in the trash. Seriously. Right in the trash. Hopefully it hasn't caused any damage to any of the rest of your hardware yet, because IF it hasn't, it will.

As Mr.Niceguy has suggested, a new power supply and better graphics card are the primary candidates for upgrade. I'd upgrade those first, see how it does THEN, and then later on worry about a platform upgrade if you find it still doesn't live up to your requirements.

How much are you looking to put towards an upgrade and what country are you in so we can recommend parts that are actually available to you?

I dont think you need to get a entire new rig, how about selling the 1060 and get a 5600 XT or a 5700, you can do pretty much any 1080p gaming on them full max settings. 5600 XT Pulse is a good model and the 5700 Red Dragon, if your interested in the best ones.

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
Throw that power supply in the trash. Seriously. Right in the trash. Hopefully it hasn't caused any damage to any of the rest of your hardware yet, because IF it hasn't, it will.

As Mr.Niceguy has suggested, a new power supply and better graphics card are the primary candidates for upgrade. I'd upgrade those first, see how it does THEN, and then later on worry about a platform upgrade if you find it still doesn't live up to your requirements.

How much are you looking to put towards an upgrade and what country are you in so we can recommend parts that are actually available to you?
Well I have a bursary coming in from my UNI so a couple hindered is fine, maybe more if needed. I also work as a freelance artist and study game design so it inst just an upgrade because I want it I also feel like I do need it.

Any PSU and GPU recommendations?

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
I dont think you need to get a entire new rig, how about selling the 1060 and get a 5600 XT or a 5700, you can do pretty much any 1080p gaming on them full max settings. 5600 XT Pulse is a good model and the 5700 Red Dragon, if your interested in the best ones.
Any reason for these cards over Nvidia cards? I always stick to Nvidia because I know it but if there is better etc I'll look into it

What country are you in Duke? Need to know that to make any recommendations. Does not good to recommend hardware that is available in the US, at US pricing, if you are in Canada, the UK or Australia, where the hardware availability and pricing are nothing like here.

Mario5

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Hi
My PSU is Gigabyte G750H, 750W, 80 Plus Gold and I'm very happy with it in combination with RTX 2080...
I think go with Nvidia with you GPU 2060/2060 Super, even better, deppending on your budget of course.

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
What country are you in Duke? Need to know that to make any recommendations. Does not good to recommend hardware that is available in the US, at US pricing, if you are in Canada, the UK or Australia, where the hardware availability and pricing are nothing like here.
Sorry yeah, I'm from UK

DukePaints

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
I'm looking at getting a 2060 Super I'm just not too sure which one, I didn't want to go over £400

Ok, well there's a big difference between which cards I'd recommend for 1080p and which cards I'd recommend for 1440p, so it IS kind of necessary or desirable to know WHICH resolution you INTEND to game at in order to look at the right cards.

Most people don't have two monitors that are game worthy but are different resolutions, that they can choose from when gaming. If you do, that's great, and we can of course proceed with the idea that you'll be gaming at 1440p, but if not, then it's in your best interest to get a card that is going to be capable enough for the resolution you'll actually be using. If you don't actually HAVE a 1440p monitor and don't have plans to GET one anytime soon, then a card that can do Ultra 1080p is a lot cheaper than one that can do Ultra 1440p. To the tune of probably about a 100-150 dollar difference.

Solution