What should I use to clean off old TIM and how to add new TIM

IntoDEV

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hi, I wanted to ask what would be better to clean off old TIM(Thermal paste/compound). I have acetone and ethanol/spirit. Which one of those two would be better, I don't have Isopropyl and as I've read those two work as well, just wondering which would be safer and better.

And how should I apply the new TIM, my cpu is Core-i7 920 using a stock heat sink. Pea or Line method?

Honestly I would go buy some alcohol. You cane get 90% Iso at any store, grocery or drug store, and the benefit is the alcohol tends to burn away while others may leave resdue.

As for application, it depends on the type of TIM you have. AS5 is also dependant on the CPU. There is a guide on Artic Silvers website for every TIM they have as well as every CPU type. But if its different, I suggest going to the site of the TIM maker and looking at what they suggest as they tested it out already.

IntoDEV

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I have a Nexus TMP-1000 and I can't find any information on their website.

[EDIT]:
I think I'll simply use ethanol for thermal paste removal. I've seen my friend using his finger to apply thermal paste and having 35C temps at idle. I lol'd ;D. So little random *** inside wont hurt, unless it will I will need to go and buy isopropyl.

I'll try pea method, if the temps wont go to the levels I'm satisfied with I'll go try line method, if it will be worse I'll switch back to pea. If the temps won't drop I'll need a new fan. since 60C at idle and 90C at NOT FULL load(just 20-40%) is just absurd.