[SOLVED] What should rx 580 power comsumption be watts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello, I have a powercolor 2 fan rx 580 and if I'm playing an intensive game that power usage is usually 141 watts the most I've seen is 146 watts even in the most stressful possible scenarios is this normal and a good wattage or should the wattage be higher? motherboard is msi b450m gaming plus

Solution
okay I ran ungine valley at 4k resolution with the graphics settings set to max for 20 minutes
and my max power comsumption is 147Watts my temperature didn't exceed 72c
highest fan rpm is 3718 the core does have some drops going down to as low as around 1067 MHz memory maintained a constant 2000MHZ but the clocks kinda seem like they drops when the scene channges max core is 1350MHZ max memory is 2000MHz the core does drop here and there but temporarily and only by 10ish MHz and that isn't caused by changing scenes
well on your gpu u should have switch
seems like u running it on silent mode now
S93db89a0-e8b0-4113-85c7-29faeb439b98.jpg

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The reddit thread and the AMD thread describe two different issues, and neither of them were solved by BIOS modding. Why do you think raising the BIOS power limit will fix your problems? Have you tried maxing out the power limit using AMD Wattman (making sure temps are still good with the higher limit)?

Did you buy the RX 580 new?

so I downloaded the bios... so would all I have to do is change the max wattage to like 200Watts and then im done (note the specs of my card not sure how accurate but it says max tdp 225Watts)
but once I change that value how do I apply it?
please dont do that
use GPU-z to get your bios
anway here is your settings
BVACrYF.jpg

as u can see base tdp is 145watts
if u change power limit it can go as high as 170watts, not sure why it has +50% power limit then

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
if u raise tdp and/or max power limit through polaris bios editor, keep in mind few things
check your GPU what pci-e plugs it has
mainboard can feed up to 75watts
1x 6pin can feed up to 75watts
1x 8pin can feed up to 150watts
so if your card has 1x6pin + 1x 8pin, theoreticaly it can handle 300watts
but keep in mind your card can be failed product which cant handle much (it will still sell for same moneys, people wont notice), so dont go too overboard
u can start with setting up tdp to whats in your bios as max power limit, if its 170watts, set tdp as 170, then up a bit max power limit
once in windows, see if its stable (before u raise power limits in msi afterburner/another oc tool

but dunno if that card will eat that much...on overclocker forums goes around 1450mhz on core, thats not much above your 1380 stock

Last edited:
Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
3 pages in and we still don't know what the GPU frequency is under sustained load..... RX580's power throttle. Most cards will not reach the manufacturer spec frequency with 0% power offset or without manual voltage manipulation.
I've helped dozens of people on the TH forums solve this same issue.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
The reddit thread and the AMD thread describe two different issues, and neither of them were solved by BIOS modding. Why do you think raising the BIOS power limit will fix your problems? Have you tried maxing out the power limit using AMD Wattman (making sure temps are still good with the higher limit)?

Did you buy the RX 580 new?
one last question is this safe bios flash

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
one last question is this safe bios flash
Why are you insisting on BIOS flashing when multiple people have recommended against it? There is zero evidence so far to indicate it would solve your problems. Without knowing what edits you've made it's hard to say whether it's safe, but I can see the file size does not match the BIOS that's currently loaded so I doubt it'd even let you flash it.

To see if you're hitting your power limit, do as @tennis2 suggested above

Why are you insisting on BIOS flashing when multiple people have recommended against it? There is zero evidence so far to indicate it would solve your problems. Without knowing what edits you've made it's hard to say whether it's safe, but I can see the file size does not match the BIOS that's currently loaded so I doubt it'd even let you flash it.

To see if you're hitting your power limit, do as @tennis2 suggested above
okay I ran ungine valley at 4k resolution with the graphics settings set to max for 20 minutes
highest fan rpm is 3718 the core does have some drops going down to as low as around 1067 MHz memory maintained a constant 2000MHZ but the clocks kinda seem like they drops when the scene channges max core is 1350MHZ max memory is 2000MHz the core does drop here and there but temporarily and only by 10ish MHz and that isn't caused by changing scenes

well on your gpu u should have switch
seems like u running it on silent mode now
S93db89a0-e8b0-4113-85c7-29faeb439b98.jpg

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution