ctguy1990

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I want to build a high end custom pc and I want the OS (i guess windows 7) to load from the SSD and have my music/games/etc stored on a regular hard drive, so A) how many GBs does my SSD need to store windows 7? and B) when I assemble my computer and attach the SSD and the regular hard drive and its all assembled and I put in the windows 7 disk, how do I make sure it saves onto the SSD and not the regular hard drive, will it let me choose on screen or something?

tlmck

Distinguished
Most folks can get by with a 60gb SSD if they keep it managed. 120gb is a better alternative and the most popular as you can pretty much install it and leave it alone.

When you get it, leave your hard drive unplugged until everything is installed and running on the SSD. Then plug in the hard drive, and use this procedure to set it up. http://www.pcworld.com/article/237496/the_best_of_both_worlds_an_ssd_and_a_hdd.html

I'd use a 120 GB .... in fact I won't build a machine for anyone anymore with less than that as they invariably come back within 6 months asking me to "make room" on it.

If they are an enthusiast you may ask and know how to manage their windows installation, why wouldn't I build for them ? If they were, they wouldn't be asking me to do their building :)

davidjuk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
SSDs are getting very popular around here, especially with people building new systems and those upgrading who have their windows installation disks and no how to find/download/install drivers etc.
The current situation over here (UK) is that a 60gb drive is about 55% the price of a 120gb one and that's making people think twice about whether it's worth maxing out the budget. Either way, most users will need to use a standard HDD to store most big files/folders.
My opinion is to go with the 120gb option and here's my reason;
Look at most people's computers and you'll find that if they are music listeners they will almost certainly have between 60 and 100 (at a guess) gb of OS, software, documents and music. People going over 120gb seem to have video and or pictures collected over the years, probably passed from one PC/laptop to the next.
If I was building a new I would put everything on the SSD, for sure, except video. 120gb goes a long way without video.

BUT, you are talking about just the OS, in which case my argument is probably wasted. However, why would you NOT want to install your games on the SSD? Windows will use *somewhere* around 15gb i.i.r.c. You could then fit 6-10 big apps/games and still have room for more stuff. It would be disappointing to run out at some point in the future. Load times will be quicker on the games, although admittedly once you are up and running, you won't know.
If you start to focus on only the OS, you may as well buy an intel 40gb.....that's enough and they are reputed to be worth the extra money.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
The 60GB SSD is only good if you don't use very much room and need to budget your rig.

The 120GB is the "sweet-spot" and is what I recommend getting. As stated earlier, with the 60GB you need to watch and manage quite a bit. The 120GB not so much. Having to manage your SSD may not sound so big now, but take it from people who have had this problem to manage. All would say they wish they got a bigger SSD.

Good Luck Buying!

You can quite easily work within a 60GB .. as long as you know what you are doing. If you are at all unsure - you will run out of space.

on top of core OS, you have page files (mine wants to flex between 6GB and 9GB)... plus perhaps a hibernation (me.. with 6GB mem - that would be another 6GB) along with all the crap that accumulates in various temp locations... and if you dont move your "user" directories.. it can all add up very quickly.

Most good software will allow you to install to a locatio nof your choosing, but most still install some on your C drive, and some software is pretty bad and either makes it difficult.. or even does not give you an option.

I was running mine (Win 7 Ultimate 64bit) on a 50GB partition ... but it was getting a pain to manage... so I just gone 120 GB SSD.. just so I dont need micro manage as much - and still have enough room for a few performance hungry apps to go on it.

Cheers