[SOLVED] What Soundcard do i have

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I was just wondering how do i know what Soundcard i have? is the soundcard good for stuff like 7.1 surround sound and would you upgrade the soundcard if so?
this is a list of my sound devices: http://prntscr.com/v79fsf
i just bought the Hyperx Cloud Alphas, upgrade from my razer kraken pros.

Solution
You're not going to get true 7.1 surround sound from a single 3.5mm stereo jack, so yes, it would be simulated. How well simulated surround performs is anyone's guess. Personally, I wouldn't bother and just go with true 5.1/7.1 speaker set up (if possible) to get surround sound.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
High Definition Audio Device is likely the audio from your motherboard.
NVidia High Definition Audio is likely audio via your graphics card HDMI/DP outputs.
NVidia Virtual Audio Device is likely the same.
The rest come from your Oculus Rift S

Would probably help to know the full specs of your system.

-Wolf sends

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
High Definition Audio Device is likely the audio from your motherboard.
NVidia High Definition Audio is likely audio via your graphics card HDMI/DP outputs.
NVidia Virtual Audio Device is likely the same.
The rest come from your Oculus Rift S

Would probably help to know the full specs of your system.

-Wolf sends

http://prntscr.com/v7alk6
so do i have surround sound seeing as my headset doesnt have a usb with virtual surround sound? would you upgrade the sound card, my hyperx are on the high definition

Wolfshadw

Titan
While your motherboard does support up to 7.1 Surround Sound, I don't see anything about your headset that says it's supports Surround Sound. Given a single 3.5mm audio plug, I would say you get good stereo sound, but nothing more.

-Wolf sends

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
While your motherboard does support up to 7.1 Surround Sound, I don't see anything about your headset that says it's supports Surround Sound. Given a single 3.5mm audio plug, I would say you get good stereo sound, but nothing more.

-Wolf sends
Every time i have used 7.1 surround or tried it it has given me a bad static sound and made the volume of sound seem further away, i had the hyperx revolver s, but the headset did not fit on me being it didn't have an adjustable strap, so had to return it but the USB and the 7.1 on that wasn't exactly great so i went with the Cloud Alpha, but a lot of people have said its just sort of a gimmick and 7.1 virtual is not exactly that great?

Wolfshadw

Titan
You're not going to get true 7.1 surround sound from a single 3.5mm stereo jack, so yes, it would be simulated. How well simulated surround performs is anyone's guess. Personally, I wouldn't bother and just go with true 5.1/7.1 speaker set up (if possible) to get surround sound.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Every time i have used 7.1 surround or tried it it has given me a bad static sound and made the volume of sound seem further away, i had the hyperx revolver s, but the headset did not fit on me being it didn't have an adjustable strap, so had to return it but the USB and the 7.1 on that wasn't exactly great so i went with the Cloud Alpha, but a lot of people have said its just sort of a gimmick and 7.1 virtual is not exactly that great?

Did you get the regular Cloud Alphas or the Cloud Alpha S which have a USB 7.1 DAC? If you are running them off the motherboard then just leave them in 2.0 mode. If you are running them off the 7.1 DAC the S models come with then you may have an issue with the settings you picked for them. You can try out the built in Microsoft Windows Sonic for headphones, that actually does not sound that bad.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Did you get the regular Cloud Alphas or the Cloud Alpha S which have a USB 7.1 DAC? If you are running them off the motherboard then just leave them in 2.0 mode. If you are running them off the 7.1 DAC the S models come with then you may have an issue with the settings you picked for them. You can try out the built in Microsoft Windows Sonic for headphones, that actually does not sound that bad.
I got the regular Cloud Alpha i prefered it over the Alpha S from looking at reviews, and the 7.1 USB didnt really get left on when i had the revolver S it made a weird static sound and made everything sound further away, so i just got the regular alpha with the splitter headphone and microphone jack.