[SOLVED] What steps should I take to make a full system image of my current windows 10 installation so I can install it onto a new SSD for my laptop?

Coleh_Broleh

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2014
Hi, apologies if this is a commonly asked question but getting a lot conflicting advice/steps to take when googling for this though it may be my fault when googling. I have a Legion 5 gaming laptop with a 256gb nvme boot drive and a 1TB nvme drive I installed to put games on. I have a 2TB Nvme drive on the way and want to replace my boot drive, so I'm planning to make a full system image and put that backup on the 1TB SSD. What steps/process should I take to achieve this as smoothly as possible? Thank you!

Solution
Hi, apologies if this is a commonly asked question but getting a lot conflicting advice/steps to take when googling for this though it may be my fault when googling. I have a Legion 5 gaming laptop with a 256gb nvme boot drive and a 1TB nvme drive I installed to put games on. I have a 2TB Nvme drive on the way and want to replace my boot drive, so I'm planning to make a full system image and put that backup on the 1TB SSD. What steps/process should I take to achieve this as smoothly as possible? Thank you!
You want to remove the 256 and replace it with the 2TB?
And no more slots?

No problem.
-----------------------
Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. ...

USAFRet

Titan
You want to remove the 256 and replace it with the 2TB?
And no more slots?

No problem.
-----------------------
Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Solution