Question What tests to run when PC freezes?

Nov 8, 2019
System:

cpu: amd-8320
mobo: ga-78lmt-usb3
ram: 16gb 1333hz
gpu: geforce 980
hd: 240 ssd, 1.5tb hdd
psu: evga supernova 650

My PC froze while gaming and I had to do a hard reset. When I turned it back on there was no signal to monitor (Displayport).

Things I've tested to no avail:
  • swapping HD/SDD
  • swapping psu (with LEPA MX F1 600W)
  • swapping gpu (gt 740 1gb)
  • swapping rams

Any thoughts for what's wrong/what else to test?

Thanks!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
clear the CMOS, by removing the motherboards button cell battery and remove the PSU cables to the motherboard for 5 minutes. then replace the battery and power cables and try again. hopefully it is just a BIOS setting. (grounding instructions below)

this is the no boot troubleshooter go down every step. step 17 what is the speaker telling you?
if you do not have a speaker you can build one for testing if you have the means and time
canned diagnostic speaker rant: speaker making 101
The diagnostic speaker is the motherboards main diagnostic feedback device.
the motherboard may be telling you where the problem is.
my speakers have this plug
hSpeakerSpringClip.jpg

I use lamp wire but any stranded wire will do. literally any stranded wires. strip one end like so
CordColors.jpg

attach the stripped end into the speaker spring clips on the speaker.
the other end of the wire should be trimmed like so the semi strip
cutwire.png

by doing a semi strip the wire case is now the socket.
plug one wire to the first pin, and the second onto the fourth pin.
power on the system and listen for beeps
end canned rant

and now a word on grounding, safety first.
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

if you get no beeps from the speaker, try forcing an error. remove all the RAM and try to boot. the motherboard, if working properly, will object in a stream of beeps from the speaker. if you cannot force a beep code in this way it has been my experience that the board is toast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
System:

cpu: amd-8320
mobo: ga-78lmt-usb3
ram: 16gb 1333hz
gpu: geforce 980
hd: 240 ssd, 1.5tb hdd
psu: evga supernova 650

My PC froze while gaming and I had to do a hard reset. When I turned it back on there was no signal to monitor (Displayport).

Things I've tested to no avail:
  • swapping HD/SDD
  • swapping psu (with LEPA MX F1 600W)
  • swapping gpu (gt 740 1gb)
  • swapping rams
Any thoughts for what's wrong/what else to test?

Thanks!

Hi @power410,

Bummer about the crash & failure to start.
Is your system OC'd? Have you tried resetting the CMOS?
What monitor are you trying? Have to tried to connect via HDMI or DVI instead of DP? Have you tried a different monitor or even a TV?
If none of those work, do you have another working system you can try parts in or a friends PC?
Does the fans turn on? Does the PC "sound" like its on, just no video out put? Swapping RAM as in in different slots or different RAM? Try 1 stick at a time in each of the slots?
Does your CPU fan turn on?

Reactions: power410
Nov 8, 2019
Hi @power410,

Bummer about the crash & failure to start.
Is your system OC'd? Have you tried resetting the CMOS?
What monitor are you trying? Have to tried to connect via HDMI or DVI instead of DP? Have you tried a different monitor or even a TV?
If none of those work, do you have another working system you can try parts in or a friends PC?
Does the fans turn on? Does the PC "sound" like its on, just no video out put? Swapping RAM as in in different slots or different RAM? Try 1 stick at a time in each of the slots?
Does your CPU fan turn on?

Hi there, here's an update on my situation.

My monitor does get a signal now and turns on. However, most of the time the pc does not get past the POST screen. In the occasional event that it does, it may freeze if I try to do anything (e.g use a browser).

My system isn't OC'd. I have tried some parts in a different computer (gpu works, ssd, hdd works, ram works). All fans turn on (gpu, cpu, other fans).

I have 4 - 4gb sticks (2 1333hz and 2 1600), and I tried replacing them in the different slots.

Thanks

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have 4 - 4gb sticks (2 1333hz and 2 1600), and I tried replacing them in the different slots.

As @Calvin7 states above, remove the 1333 RAM and just try the 1600. It's never a good idea to mix n' match RAM. Be sure to have them in the correct slots too in your mobo so you'll run in DC. If you still have problems, try 1 stick at a time to narrow things down to a potentially bad stick. The same for the 1333 RAM should the 1600 prove to be faulty.

Let us know how things go after testing. 8GB of matching is better than 16GB of mixed.

Nov 8, 2019
As @Calvin7 states above, remove the 1333 RAM and just try the 1600. It's never a good idea to mix n' match RAM. Be sure to have them in the correct slots too in your mobo so you'll run in DC. If you still have problems, try 1 stick at a time to narrow things down to a potentially bad stick. The same for the 1333 RAM should the 1600 prove to be faulty.

Let us know how things go after testing. 8GB of matching is better than 16GB of mixed.

Hi there!

Thanks for all your comments, it has been very helpful. I went out and got another PSU from a friend and hooked everything up.

First thing I did was reset CMOS (removing battery/power and waiting a few minutes), then I used 1 stick of 1600MHz ram. This made the system turn on again! Quite happy about this result. After this I stuck the other 1600MHz ram on and used the computer normally.

However, there seems to be another problem that I did not notice before. Only when playing some games (more GPU intensive games eg poe/destiny), there is a strange clicking/buzzing sound coming from computer. I ignored it for a little bit, thinking it could be a psu fan, but when I got to more GPU intensive parts of the game, the pc froze and shut down.

This time, I was able to start it back up again though. Just scared to put too much stress on the GPU now haha.

What do you think?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Ahh... POE.. You have taste. I can't wait for 4.0!

Try the same thing, only this time with the 1333 RAM. As tempted as you may be, don't give in to the dark side and mix the 2 types of RAM.

What PSU did you borrow from your friend? A good PSU really does matter.

Whats your motherboards Bios Version? F1? F2?

Whats the temps of your 980? Download either MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 and set the FAN to be running at max to ensure the card runs as cool as possible. Don't worry what brand your card is, both programs will work with it.

The generic "Is everything plugged in correctly and all drivers up to date?" question really is an important one. :)

Nov 8, 2019
Ahh... POE.. You have taste. I can't wait for 4.0!

Try the same thing, only this time with the 1333 RAM. As tempted as you may be, don't give in to the dark side and mix the 2 types of RAM.

What PSU did you borrow from your friend? A good PSU really does matter.

Whats your motherboards Bios Version? F1? F2?

Whats the temps of your 980? Download either MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 and set the FAN to be running at max to ensure the card runs as cool as possible. Don't worry what brand your card is, both programs will work with it.

The generic "Is everything plugged in correctly and all drivers up to date?" question really is an important one. :)

Thanks for following up on this!

I borrowed a LEPA MX F1 600w. Tried all the sticks I have individually to the same result - occasionally turns on and I can login, but screen freezes shortly after. I stress tested recently and it runs up to 80-ish.

BIOS is F2

At this point I'm not very hopeful :/ may just pick up a new system

Last edited: