[SOLVED] What the best ATX computer chassis for my upcoming Ryzen 7 3700X (8 Cores/16 Threads - TDP:65W) setup?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
What the best ATX Form Factor Case for my upcoming Ryzen 7 3700X Setup?

Price ranges from $25 to $100 USD (AMAZON and Newegg Only - No Microcenter)
Form Factor: ATX

Cable Management Difficulty: Easy

Last edited:
Solution
Newer cpus don't require more cooling. One of the hottest running cpus of all time was the Pentium 4, any of the extreme series of c2q, any of the 140 HEDT cpus, the amd fx 9 series cpus etc. What requires more cooling is you. Ppl are finally getting around to knowing that cpus under 70° (the lower the better) are best. For years, ppl didn't care, coolers were mostly an afterthought. Now, cool and quiet is king.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fred, that's not how that works, positive/negative pressure. It's really, seriously abused, almost as much as bottlenecking, and just as misunderstood.

A fan blade moves through air, which creates a low pressure area behind the blade. The result is a higher pressure exhaust. Spin the blades fast enough and you get a lower pressure area in front of the fan. Nature abhors a vacuum, so case air will move to fill that low pressure area constantly, resulting in airflow. Air, like electricity, always follows the path of least resistance, and the strongest draw is the area closest to the fan. So air on a rear exhaust will come from the top vents, pcie slots, case etc. The job of the intake fans isn't just to replenish air, but also to overcome the tendency of the exhaust fan to pull air from outside sources. At low rpm, not much air is moved in from the intakes, so at idle speeds you'll have a negative pressure system as the rear exhaust is still pulling outside air. At loads/high rpm, there's enough cfm moved in that the path of least resistance to airflow is using case air, so a positive pressure system. The exhaust doesn't pull unfiltered air much at all.

Your psu fan spinning has absolutely nothing to do with negative/positive pressure. It's relegated by temps under load. It's operated by a thermistor circuit inside the psu. If the load isn't sufficient to create enough heat, the fan doesn't kick on. If the load is sufficient, there's enough heat generated that the fan does kick in. There's simply not enough pressure generated by input fans to force air through a psu

Reactions: valeman2012

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Did you say that right?
A PSU's fan is intake. It exhausts out the grille at the back. You either orient it fan down and it sucks crap off the floor or you have it fan up and use the PSU how it used to be - as an exhaust for system air.

Recommend the latter. Filtered air from the front with positive pressure, exhaust out the rear. Tape up the bottom and all the little holes. I even tape up the PCI slot cover holes. Air only out rear fan, GPU vent and PSU. Ive got enough positive pressure that the PSU fan never comes on. (Ideally, have 3x a12x25s at front). The positive pressure is always actively cooling the PSU & GPU. Almost blows a lighter out.

The fan bottom down thing is just some fad that caught on like RGB.
Vents on top of cases are dust collectors.

OP pony up and get a fractal R6. I havent used the meshify but as a guess id say its better than the NZXTs. Whenever i was doing a build with one id have to bend/push the back in to fit the mobo properly. And, always, always a threaded screw in the bag.

Note sure where that data came from.

AMD demoed an 8 core drawing less power (not heat) than a 9900k (not a 2700x tho). Thats the only confirmed data i know of.
Op.

There is no best chassis. At all. Every person has individual tastes, like not liking RGB or wanting green fans or orange stripes. Every setup is different, like some use liquid cooling with triple fan radiators, some use giant heatsinks, some couldn't be bothered with OC and just use stock coolers. Every situation is different, some want the htpc, some need certain size cases, some want floor placed, some want desk placed.

So there's no case that can fit every criteria for everybody. Cases are very personal, you have to look at it every day, we don't. So you need to get online, search Amazon, newegg, pcpartpicker.com etc and find half a dozen cases you really like the looks of. Then see if they fit your criteria build, needs, wants. You'll end up with 2-3 that are tied and rgsys when you ask opinions as some are better quality, some have better airflow, some have fitment issues you may not know about.
Timmy joe just released a video with the 3700x. I cant find it anymore so i think it was taken down since it was too early. I have the video downloaded so ill screen shot it.

3700x chilled at 4.4ghz (they dont oc much) BEATS a chilled 9900k at 5.3ghz in cinebench r15. Lower clockspeed and same core count with better performance.

Apparently out of the box the 3700x performs within 1-200mhz to the oc speed. The max allowed temp for the 3700x is only 75c tho
Basically it using more power on those 3rd Gen Proccesors which also generate more heats and require more airflow to cool it down more. Meaning i need a good case...since i am not overclocking.
Already know the Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 9 3900X going people popular choice to buy.
📦

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I9 9900k TDP 95w. Actual power used 86w in TDP test. Full core, full load 250w.

In any power test actual power used isn't a definitive number. They'll change according to outside variables like vcore, soc, ram speeds motherboard, pcie, Sata, USB usage etc. So it's very easy to see 80w usage in one test, change mobo's, add different OC, different variables and use 120w. It's part of the reason TDP retains any value since it's a specific test, with specific conditions but even that is just an average of power used by several apps.

So specific power used is going to be different under different circumstances and doesn't really translate across to different cpus.

As far as generated heat, the i7-8700k is a 95w TDP cpu, yet generates equitable or less heat output than a similarly configured i7-3770K at a 77w TDP.

None of which is accurately measurable by pc's, you'd need IR cameras/sensors on an open cpu to remove the heatsink from the equation. The other reason TDP retains any value.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I9 9900k TDP 95w. Actual power used 86w in TDP test. Full core, full load 250w.

In any power test actual power used isn't a definitive number. They'll change according to outside variables like vcore, soc, ram speeds motherboard, pcie, Sata, USB usage etc. So it's very easy to see 80w usage in one test, change mobo's, add different OC, different variables and use 120w. It's part of the reason TDP retains any value since it's a specific test, with specific conditions but even that is just an average of power used by several apps.

So specific power used is going to be different under different circumstances and doesn't really translate across to different cpus.

As far as generated heat, the i7-8700k is a 95w TDP cpu, yet generates equitable or less heat output than a similarly configured i7-3770K at a 77w TDP.

None of which is accurately measurable by pc's, you'd need IR cameras/sensors on an open cpu to remove the heatsink from the equation. The other reason TDP retains any value.
Even though these numbers can vary a lot, the 8 core 3700x system consumes half the total draw of the 9900k system, it's hard to ignore.
View: https://imgur.com/tuCM4iZ
I mean if CPU Utilization is at 100% then it start to use more power making the fan blow you so it more likely to make it louder through the computer case?

Yes, if the cpu is at 100% the fan is likely to ramp up. You could play with fan curves.

I believe from the reviews i saw the wraith prism can keep 3rd gen chips cool.

A stock cooler will usually be louder than am aftermarket cooler.

Btw, the 3600x comes with a wraiths spire, but the copper core is removed. Just a note.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If any decent cpu is at 100% usage, there's 1 of 2 things going on. You are either using an app like stress testers or rendering that are capable of full core usage, or you are in serious trouble. Most games won't ever use more than @ 70% of a cpu that's built for the game. Like CSGO on a quad, or BF5 on a 8 core cpu. It's only when trying to push 8 thread or more optimized games on a quad that you'll see such usage.

If a cpu hits 100%, it'll depend on the bios settings as to how much power is used. At stock settings you'll generally see TDP or thereabouts. If you've added OC, that takes more power, voltages are usually higher than stock in many settings. More voltages = more work = hotter cpu = faster fan. Default settings for fan curve is 70°C = 100%.

If your cooler is capable of maintaining below 70°C, even at 100% load you will still not hit 100% fan

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Yes, if the cpu is at 100% the fan is likely to ramp up. You could play with fan curves.

Btw, the 3600x comes with a wraiths spire, but the copper core is removed. Just a note.
If any decent cpu is at 100% usage, there's 1 of 2 things going on. You are either using an app like stress testers or rendering that are capable of full core usage, or you are in serious trouble. Most games won't ever use more than @ 70% of a cpu that's built for the game. Like CSGO on a quad, or BF5 on a 8 core cpu. It's only when trying to push 8 thread or more optimized games on a quad that you'll see such usage.

If a cpu hits 100%, it'll depend on the bios settings as to how much power is used. At stock settings you'll generally see TDP or thereabouts. If you've added OC, that takes more power, voltages are usually higher than stock in many settings. More voltages = more work = hotter cpu = faster fan. Default settings for fan curve is 70°C = 100%.

If your cooler is capable of maintaining below 70°C, even at 100% load you will still not hit 100% fan
Yea i might the Ryzen 7 3700X once everything is stabilized. Hopefully not going get Bios Updates after another. The computer case probably need to have the best quality.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

Computer Case newegg or amazon?

Ryzen 7 3700X probaly going get it from local best buy store...online store already out in few minutes or just sold by third party seller very rip offf

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Have fun. I am seriously concidering upgrading to a 3600, so i went into my local best buy yesterday.

They has 9th gen intel and 2nd gen amd, both overpriced. No 3rd gen cpus in sight. Not even a spot on the shelf for them.
Ryzen 3000 currently have chipset issues and i think it would affect the fans. for airflow for the case. Are they going fix? Mostly dont them well messing with windows power plan or something like that.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Ryzen 1k has a lot of issues but they all got ironed out over time.

Just wait
https://www.newegg.com/black-thermaltake-suppressor-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811133336

I have 2 of these
The exhaust fan pictured should not be pictured as it comes with a non rgb or led fan. It's just a 120mm fan.
Lots of room, great coolng options.
I mean some case will have difficulty on cable management.. AIrflow at best smut be needed and should case under $100 USD able to have that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only One cable that introduces any issue with cable management and that's the 20+4 motherboard mains, due to its inherent thickness and inflexibility. Every other cable can be placed as to not be an issue. Just might require some patience and ingenuity to achieve. Small zip ties, velcro straps, double sided sticky tape, gorilla tape, hot-glue even bread ties and rubber bands are not uncommon.