What tier is my PSU?

They are trying to help. A crap PSU can literally kill your whole pc if it fails and failures are far too common with this type of unit. That will cost you a lot more money than a reasonable quality unit.

They go beyond the original question as many people don't know the right questions to ask.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Precedentbug : "Should i upgrade? :("

I love a bit of over provisioning, but almost triple what you will actually be using is overkill in even my book. 550-650 will do
there is nothing wrong with getting a 750W PSU other than the price differences.
If you decide to invest in a 750, look hard at the EVGA g3 supernova. Industry leading 10 yr warranty.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dMM323/evga-supernova-g3-750w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0750
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=500
scroll down to the bottom,the response to the category The Bad is priceless

While I'm usually opposed to judging power supplies on a tier by tier basis, this one definitely belongs in tier 5.

Unstable output at 150W, very unstable output at a mere 250W, potential fire hazard above 300W. Note that this does not mean it's guaranteed not to explode under 300W.

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Precedentbug : "Would my PSU Be Fine?"

Yes, a 550w would be enough for what you have or up to a 1060.

This is why we are so adament on this forum for people to get a quality power supply, it is the heart of your and going cheap on it can cost you hundreds of dollars in damaged parts.

I disagree. You should be able to run a GTX 1080 and a normal CPU as long as you don't overclock past reasonable capabilities of the power supply.

Plus if he only has the money for a cheap GPU now, why should we assume he's going to rack up $1000 for some crazy high-end GPU anyway? Chances are when he decides to upgrade down the line in like 3 years he'll upgrade to a similar-tier GPU. PC builders don't just suddenly become rich.