Question What to buy for a college upgrade for 750 USD or less? Lenovo IdeaPad 5 vs Asus Vivobook S 15 OLED ?

cdoge88

Honorable
Sep 8, 2018
I am looking to upgrade from an old gaming laptop to a laptop with a better battery life mostly, but is still very fast and has a reasonable GPU setup, around my price range of 750 USD or less.

I have found two compelling options that blend enough performance and battery life for my needs at least, the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2 in 1 and Asus Vivobook S 15 OLED.

I am interested in the Lenovo because it has seemingly a faster CPU and GPU by a small margin and the fact that it's a 2 in 1 is compelling. However, the Asus has a much nicer screen, a 120hz 2.8k OLED vs 1080p 60 IPS, and claims to have substantially better battery life. I know OLEDs draw more power than standard displays, but the Vivobook has a 75 whr battery vs a 57 whr battery in the Lenovo.

Considering this, the Vivobook is 749.99 while the Lenovo is 699.99, so price-wise they aren't too far apart. I was wondering which of these would be better overall, as I plan to use it for the rest of my college tenure and hopefully beyond, so at least 2-3 more years. I am also open to other suggestions if there are better options within my price range.

Ralston18

Titan
Re: College upgrade.

You are asking fair questions.

However, do not forget to check with your college and/or the Department of your major.

They may already have applicable recommendations for hardware and software relevant to your major.

And may also have channels that include some student discounts.

Do leave gaming and recreation out of the requirements.

No problems with gaming per se other than playing games is not likely in the curriculum. :)

Consider that after a few minutes of gaming fun the laptop goes "belly-up" with the paper due tomorrow.

True: can happen with any app or hardware. Which is why we emphasize backups.

The risks are yours to take.