What to charge?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Hello,

I know that this pops up from time to time, and I've done some
searches to see if I can get this info without asking. But, I haven't
seen much very recent that's helpful, so...

I've been asked to consider taking on a video production/editing
project. This would be part time, using a personal Canon DV cam
(original Optura, still works well), FinalCut Express, on a PowerBook,
output to DVD using iDVD. The end-product is supposed to be a one-hour
instructional video, weaving PowerPoint-style still screens with 'for
example'-type video. We'll do all the taping, voice, editing, audio
mixing, and output, but we'll be provided with the script. All the
taping will be in one location, and can probably be done in one day.

Oh, and we have about 45 days to complete this project, start to
finish! (Remember, these are after the 9-to-6 workday.)

So, what should I charge?

As a guide, I'm aware of another project recently completed by a
local pro shop for a different department of the same client company.
This was a 17 minute production, about 30 minutes of total taping time
for 1 minute of video on-screen, the rest was pans over stills, pro
voice recording (that the client didn't end up liking anyway), and no
scriptwriting. And, it's taken nine months to complete (not totally
their fault). I'm thinking of asking for a particular fraction of what
they got paid, noting that we're doing 3x the length, with taping,
voice, editing, and within 45 days BUT acknowledging that I'm not a
full-time pro.

(And, as background, by the time we start this, I'll have completed
work on my first 'for pay' project, a 40 minute promo video in which we
did all the concept, scriptwriting, taping, voice, editing, audio
mixing, and output to DVD and VHS. The potential client is well aware
of this.)

Thoughts? Per-minute video rate? Per hour work rate? Fraction of
the other contract?

Thanks,

Todd

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

It all depends on how good you are at creating this thing.
If this is your second "for pay" project and you're a beginner -- then you
obviously should not charge too much...

How do other people rate the first project you did? Do you know how to
properly expose and frame your shots?
Do you know how to hold the camera still and/or use a tripod for some smooth
zooms or pans?

What about sound recording skills: Do you have the right equipment to mike
your subjects correctly so you can record on-mike dialog. Can you light
correctly? Edit?

These things are relatively easy to do, but HARD to do well. That's why
EXPERIENCE is your most important
asset.

I'd tend to go for an hourly rate especially if the client is green at this
too, that way if it turns into a quagmire of extras that they didn't tell
you about, your ass is covered.
Make sure to have a written contract that spells out what is expected and
what will be produced.

You may be brilliant, or a total moron so only you will know what your price
should be. work it out...